PDA

View Full Version : Why the need for filters?

04-11-2004, 12:26 AM
I just got to thinking and I was wondering what the point of sponge filters or any filters for that matter, are neccessary since if we do 50% water changes daily?

Carol_Roberts
04-11-2004, 12:39 AM
They process ammonia all day long to keep levels at zero. Otherwise ammonia would build during the day. Filters add oxygen through water movement too.

Willie
04-11-2004, 12:41 PM
When I visited Jeff Young's set up, he makes 200% water changes daily with a daily wipe down. There's no filter in the tanks. Of course, he's a pro. If you can keep up that schedule, its probably okay.

However, the point is good. With our water change schedule, biological filtration is what our filters do. Mechanical and chemical filtration is unimportant given the amount of water changes. I've always wondered about people using expensive canister filters when sponges work fine.

Willie

ronrca
04-12-2004, 06:07 PM
;) Thanks Willie! You mentioned the one deciding factor!
Of course, he's a pro. Many years of experience and knowledge plus dedication! Not something to be attempted by the newbie/amateur! ;)

Fish Addict
04-14-2004, 02:22 AM
Is it true that too much water changes will disturb or kill the bacteria colonies?

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2004, 11:56 AM
NO!

jaydoc
04-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Willie,
I, like many, first started to use canisters because I believed the LFS party line that they were better. Certainly they were better than my old undergravel filter. I now still use some canisters because of vanity! I don't like the way the sponge filters look in the tank and you can hide the canisters. IMPORTANTLY though, one should realize that using a canister is not less work, it may be more. Additionally I only use eheim wet/dry type canisters, I only use them for biologic and mechanical filters. NO CARBON EVER. Also MUST HAVE A PRE-FILTER. Also must clean regularly. This is what gets folks in trouble. It is easy to forget the out-of-sight, out-of-mind filter. I do like this set-up for display type tanks but fully agree that simple sponges really are the way to go for most applications. More expensive is not necessarily better! Aquaclears are a pretty good compromise also, dont you think?

slicksta
04-14-2004, 12:37 PM
wc don't kill the bacteria....you just won't have a large colony with more changes, your removing there food....
that's why if you do large or multiple changes daily it is important to keep up the routine

Jeff
04-14-2004, 12:51 PM
I don't use filters, BUT I would not recomend it to anyone. If you miss wcs you are in for trouble. This includes 2x a day all holidays, weekends, and also when you may be sick, etc. It is not easy, but yes the fish do just fine.

Northwestcoastdisc
04-14-2004, 01:22 PM
I totally agree with Carol, Willie, jaydoc, slicksta and Jeff.

Keep W/C W/C a lot.

If you have a few discus in your tank make sure there is a lot of room.

Rememeber the discus's Rules one adult size per 10 Gallon tank.

You can do water changes at 30% to 50% everydays with sponge filter or non sponge but other filter systems have type of sponge.

The sponge can built up for beneficial bacteria biological cycle.

If you don't do water change your beauitful fish very often your fish would be get sick, runk, junk fish.

Jeff is working very hard . he does water changes a lot keep his beauitful happy healthy fish!

In Asian breeders to do w/c 100% might be more than 100% W/C everyday

HTH

Duncan

NWCD

Lauren
04-14-2004, 02:11 PM
200% daily w/cs can be done.. but man talk ab out being tired at the end of the day!

Willie
04-15-2004, 07:52 AM
I don't use canister filters because they are primarily good for mechanical and chemical filtration. Because they are sealed, there's a limited amount of oxygen available which means reduced levels of biological filtration. They also do a poor job of aerating the water, which I think is important to discus health. I like power filters that do lots of aeration. In 55's and larger tanks, I use powerheads to drive the sponge filters to create a lot of turbulence and aeration.

Willie

jaydoc
04-15-2004, 05:00 PM
I agree willie. That's why the only "canister" I use are the eheim wet/dry type. They cycle by filling with water that trickles through the substrate media, then empty out and fill the canister with air again througha seperate intake hose. They cycle over about a 40 to 60 second period. I have gotten all of my true canisters like my magnums of my discus set ups. I reiterate, using these type of filters still requires a lot of diligent maintainance.