PDA

View Full Version : Discus swimming alone

AJ78
04-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Hi there,

I've been keeping discus for over a year. Would like to enquire whether anyone has ever exprience such a problem. One of my orange discus from the original batch since the day i let them in the aquarium tends to stick to himself. He is normally hiding behind the air pump.When its feeding time, he doesn't join in and will normally eat whatever leftovers that are lying at the bottom of the aquarium.This is being going on for a year.When the other fishes tend to mix with him. he just swims away.
Another peculiar thing that happens is that when I look at the aquarium, the other fishes tend to vie for attention but in his case, he just hides.He only comes out at nite and by daytime, he is hiding again.
Anyone ever exprience such a thing before.

Amadhunter
04-13-2004, 03:28 AM
I've got a BD doing the exact same thing. All the others are excited when I enter their view, this one just hangs out behind the sponge filters. :( Hope he ain't sick, but he seems otherwise healthy, maybe a little thin though.

flukes
04-13-2004, 04:53 AM
It must be a pigeon thing because i got the same thing with my pearl pigeon, he does get a feed but he is not as egar as the rest of them.
Just wondering if yours is the smallest in the tank? Is he/has he darkened in color??
Mine is the smallest but he is as bright as the sun and seems healthy.
Might have to slip some anit-depresent's in the tank. :D
Spose some people just like to be by them selves i guess some discus like this too.

Intresting topic but because ive noticed it alot in PB's.

Cheers
Scott

AJ78
04-13-2004, 06:45 AM
The suprising thing is that he is healthy. Never needed to be medicated for any diseases. But there are times when his skin colour goes pale and then an hour two its back to its normal colour.His doesn't even turn dark and his fins are always opened.
He used to be feisty with another discus.But that discus has passed away due to white spots .Since then his loneliness is evident.
Could that be a reason?

Carol_Roberts
04-13-2004, 09:45 AM
I think they are lowest in pecking order, least healthy, last to eat, usually stay small