PDA

View Full Version : Stunted Growth in my juvi's

SC Fishy
04-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi guys, i'm new here and this is my first post. I could not figure out how/if there was a way to search for this so that is why I'm posting this.

A while back I had my Blue Cobalt and Red Turq spawn. I raised the fry, but they did not grow well, they were stunted. Now, the parents were small, then Female was about 3.5 inches and the Male about 4.5 inches. They were bought locally as breeder rejects probably. Anyway, the fry are stuneted and I'm not sure what I did wrong. The tanks were bare bottom, I did 20 % water changes every day for a month, then cut it back to 30% 3x's a week. I fed them blood worms, and flake food. I did not use trace minerals, ro water, or beef heart. Was I genetically doomed or did I do somthing wrong.

The reason I'm asking is I want to get some grade A discus and get some 6 in fish. Do any of you have suggestions.

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Next batch try do daily water changes of at least 50%. After the first month cull down to the best 20 (biggest, roundest) to grow on in a 55 gallon bare bottom. AS they grow continue to sell off or cull. Smell the water, smell the filters - you want it to smell almost clean enough to drink. Feed california black worms starting at 2 weeks free swimming. Use automatiic feeders if you aren't home all day. Feed at least 6 times per day. In the end you should have 5 or 6 nice discus.

korbi_doc
04-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Carol, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: