PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Secondary Filter?

pcgamer02
04-13-2004, 11:59 PM
I have two 55gallon tank next to where I sleep. So natually I want to get a fairly quiet filter :P. I have two penguin 330's that are pretty tolarable as far as the noise level goes (one in each tank). I recently bought an air pump and it was defening so sponge filter is out. I was thinkin about getting fluval 204 but im not sure how loud they are. If anyone would care to comment or have any good suggestions for a 2nd filter on my discus tank it would be greatly appreciated.

April
04-14-2004, 12:36 AM
i have hydro sponges running.. right beside my bed. two tanks.. a 100 and a 60 with 3 sponges in each. yeah..theres bubbles..but heh..you get used to it. maybe an aquaclear if you keep your water level up high will be quiet.

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2004, 01:05 AM
This is my bedroom (actually there is a 4th tank in there since this was taken) ;D

I have two aqua clear 500's and two aqua clear 200's and one sponge filter. I turn off the airdriven sponge filter at night. The aqua clears don't bother me at all - I do keep the water level up.

Goldfish_in_a_bowl
04-14-2004, 01:21 AM
April,
Like a Bull dozer could wake you up.. ::) you Never sleep! :P

pc,
I am with the Aqua clears.. I never hear my tanks? unless someone forgets to fill the tank all the way up.. then I hear the water, I know.. I could let my son sleep with you instead of me! then You wouldn't care about the noise.. I'll pay the shipping if Cary will Pack him.

Carol,
Okay right after the HOLY COW :o :o :o at the fish tanks in the bedroom.. I am sure of it.. You could get a couple more in there! Maybe Stack a couple?? ROTFL I wanted to Run and Jump on you're bed! :bounce:
it just seems so..Beautiful.... Clean...Neat... QUIET! :-\

Take care :-*
:gorgeous:

pcgamer02
04-14-2004, 02:27 AM
Carol, Your bedroom looks just like mine I have 3 tank by my bed and 1 in my closet :p

On the comments about the aquaclear, I would put one in my discus tank but I already have a penguin in there and I'm told the discus dont like all the water turbulance. Either I'll forget about the 2nd filter or get a canister.

Goldfish_in_a_bowl
04-14-2004, 03:01 AM
pc,
Had two 500 AC on all of my discus tanks with full water flow. My discus could have cared less.
Canisters.. I have those under the tanks with the AC's ( in storage) ;D

HTH
Kare :gorgeous:

CanadianGuy
04-14-2004, 03:40 AM
I had a Fluval 403 in my bedroom for over a year. The only way I could tell it was on was by touching it and feeling the vibration or by putting my hand in the water to feel the flow. I also had an Hagen 802 air pump running 2 huge airstones...the only noise I heard from that was the bubbles and a very low hum...no more than a penguin filter. I find that with air pumps the biggest problem is noise from it vibrating on the floor/shelf/tank. Cut a piece of sponge under it and it should quiet down.

Did you try and run the air pump with hoses and airstones/filters attached? Or did you just plug it in to how loud it was? If you only did that they are hella loud!!! When there is no resistance for the diaphrams they can be extremely annoying.

pcgamer02
04-14-2004, 02:40 PM
CanadianGuy,

Ya I had the airpump all setup and I couldnt sleep with the bubbles or the noise it put out. The fluval sound like a winner so far. Although I could get by with just the penguin filter, but I want my discus to have the best =)

CanadianGuy
04-14-2004, 09:41 PM
It's all about what you prefer. Most think that the ACs are easier to maintain. It doesn't take much longer to clean a Fluval from my experience...disconnect it with the flick of a lever...pop the top..rinse everything out and put it back on...attach the hoses with the flick of the lever...it primes itself and you plug it in. Just make sure to use a pre-filter on the intake and you'll be doing much less maintenance. Personally I find that cleaning the ACs makes more of a mess and takes longer....but the price is right and with the amount of filters I have running it only makes sense to use them.

Just go with what you are most confortable with. Either way your fish will be happy.