PDA

View Full Version : Filtration For a planted 110 gallon discus tank

pembrokewelshcorgi
04-14-2004, 12:53 PM
I have been trying to start a planted 110 gallon discus tank. I have been looking at a Eheim wet/dry system model 2229. The only thing is I do not the signifigants of a wet/dry system. Someone else has also suggested for me to use two canister filters two Fluval 404's or two Eheim canister filters. I do not Know much about canister filters or wet/dry systems.thank you for your help.Could someone recommend a filtration system for This 110 gl discus tank.

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2004, 01:03 PM
here is how to set up a discus tank. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=9911
for a 110 I'd use two aqua clear 500's

falcon
04-14-2004, 01:04 PM
I have a 120g and I am using Eheim 2028pro canister. I've seend other people using the same filter for tanks in the 100g range. Works fine for me.

If you're not planning to plant the tank, then as Carol mentioned, aquaclear 500 might be a better choice if you're planning to feed 5x/day and change water every day-from maintenance perspective.

I think, not 100% positive, wet/dry are more used for marine applications.

Falcon

lsuber
04-18-2004, 05:10 PM
I set up a 90-gal planted tank with some discus recently, and used an Eheim 2026 and a Magnum 350. Both have advantages, and I can convert the Magnum to a diatom filter pretty quickly should the need arise. It also gives me the flexibility of using carbon or any other filler as I need. The Eheim provides mostly biological filtration the way I have it configured. Both filters have a FilterMax III to catch the coarse stuff. I remove and rinse those every week with my water change. It's working well for me right now.

korbi_doc
04-19-2004, 05:40 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I have a 125g with a Lifeguard module, a micron filter within, & 3 lg sponge filters & airstones. The 90g has a wet/dry with sponge filters & airstones. Personally I like the wet/dry for less maintenance. The wet/dry & the Lifeguard were leftover from my SW days, & I just couldn't throw'm away. A 110g has an Aquaclear 500 & (that's even easier maintenance) & sponge filters (light load). The rest of my tanks have Aquaclears & I love'm. Think the AC filters are the best way to go coupled with the sponge filters, & I have 2 HOTMagnums for emergencies or heavy bio-loads. JMO, Dottie ;D