PDA

View Full Version : Drip Feed!

aggie_67
04-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Getting ready to put together my water change system, those pails are getting old. Have read a lot of posts and everyone has a lot of opinions but has anyone ever tested to confirm what is happening. I would predict a daily 50%water change program would result in a cycle (sawtooth curve if plotted) where the nitrates would go from 0.4 down to 0.2 after every change (average 0.3.) This is just an example, don't know what the real number are but 50% change should cut the number in half. If a 50% drip system were used I would expect the level would stay at 0.35 all the time. This is a rough number, drip is not as effective as cyclic changing but it does give constant numbers. Still need to remove wastes off tank bottom, that is a seperate issue.

Why don't I just try it. If I go drip I am setting the aging drums upstairs from my tanks so I can use gravity for the drip. If I batch the drum must be in immediate area.

Read all the post where they say a drip didn't work, etc. but it doesn't say if they use the same change rate, still remove manually remove poop daily, etc. or are they just depending on the drip to solve all there problems? Just putting a 1/2 gph drip on a 55 does not give you a 50% water change, more like 20%.