PDA

View Full Version : Discus Filtration

soulsailor
04-14-2004, 06:19 PM
So, my new Discus tank is well on the way to maturing, but I have a question - somewhere but I dont remember where I heard that in a Discus tank you shouldnt use a charcoal insert in your filtration... is this true, and if so what is the reasoning behind this?

pcgamer02
04-14-2004, 06:20 PM
I have always been told by the pro's of this forum to leave the carbon out. Couldnt tell you why though.

CanadianGuy
04-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Some people beleive that carbon can cause problems for Discus. Personally I think the problems arise when you don't change the carbon at the proper intervals and it starts to leach back some of the impurities that it had previously removed. If you replace the carbon properly you shouldn't have any problems.

On the other hand, carbon really doesn't do much in a Discus tank if you are doing frequent water changes(as you should be). The water changes remove the impurities just as carbon would.

That said, I am currently not using carbon in any of my Discus tanks and I have noticed no difference between using it or not using it. Just because I didn't notice any negative effects from the carbon doesn't mean that it never happens. If you're in doubt don't use it. It really isn't neccessary. Use the extra money for more tanks and more Discus!

And do LOTS of water changes! ;D

M0oN
04-15-2004, 12:23 AM
I think a large part of the reason folks say not to use it is that the daily water changes take it's place.

Some people think it leaches good and bad minerals from the water, some people think it's not effective after 24 hours...

I just think it's a waste of money, I haven't used it for years in any tanks...it's primarily used for covering up a smelly tank in the first place which shouldn't be the case anyway...

I only use it to remove heavy medications now...

mikeos
04-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Carbon can remove trace elements from the water, as Discus water is typically mineral depleted, prolonged use can lead to deficiencies in the fish.

Additionally there should be nothing in the water that requires carbon, unless you are looking to remove medications in a hurry.

ronrca
04-15-2004, 02:48 PM
You mean you can get carbon filters? LOL!

Please note that there is a big difference between the quality of carbon filters available. The cheap carbon filters are well......you get what you pay for! More expensive carbon filters will be and are more effective. However, I never use them either.

CanadianGuy
04-16-2004, 12:36 AM
ron,
I was just thinking of posting about the differences in carbon and you beat me to it!
You can get carbon ranging from cheap crap at the chain LFS to lab grade. Of course the good stuff costs you good money! Just another reason to not use it I say!

M0oN
04-16-2004, 02:05 AM
The only practical use I see for constant carbon are the high grade blocks used in 24/7 automated water change drip systems.

CanadianGuy
04-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Actually I can't say that I don't use carbon...I run my water through sediment and carbon filters before I send it to the storage barrels.

Carol_Roberts
04-16-2004, 11:12 AM
As long as you change them out on a set schedule you are fine

mikeos
04-16-2004, 01:19 PM
As I understand it the problem is contact time and affinity.. ie the time the water is in contact with the carbon, and the scale of the attraction of polutants to the carbon.

Passing through a water filter once removes a high percentage of the "nasties" we dont want together with chlorine etc. as they have a high affinity. ( 1 pass through a CBR2 or activated carbon briquette is sufficient for us) Repeated contact removes more and more "nasties" as they generally have a higher affinity than trace elements and the like.

Then the stuff we want to keep is attracted at a lower affinity... if it was the same it would be removed immediatly,.... just the repeated contact removing a small amount every time, soon removes too much of the stuff the fish need to remain healthy.

Cosmo
05-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on Chemi-Pure as compared to carbon, other than it costs alot more lol