PDA

View Full Version : New owner of a Discus

a-shamrock4u
04-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Hello everyone!

I bought my first discus yesterday after doing a lot of reading on the subject. My main question is can an inferior discus still make a good pet? Mine has a chiped eye (didn't know about that till I found your forum last nite and read about picking a good fish) but I don't want to take him back to the LFS. With the care I give my fish will he have a normal life? I have always been an avid water changer and the rest of my fish are healthy and happy.

Any comments will be great.
Thank you,

Joel
04-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Well, IMO it is really crap about having the perfect discus if all you want to have is a discus as a pet fish. IMO cheap discus (but if you paid a bomb for it, I say you change it) that may not be be of superior quality can actually be a good thing for beginners since it won't be so costly if a disaster was to happen. As long as you are happy with it and it can lead a normal lifestyle, I think its fine.

04-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Hi Vicki,

I'm a casual discus keeper and it makes sense to me to learn on this one so that you don't have a big investment if they get sick or if you make a mistake as you learn. Once you get it all down you can get better fish, as in spend more money, and know what you are doing to keep them healthy, happy, and spawning. Who knows, you may turn your house into a water park like some fanatics ;D Have fun...........

a-shamrock4u
04-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the replies ;D

I don't think I will be doing any breeding anytime soon and just want a good pet. I had been watching this fish at the LFS for close to a month and am happy I finally bought it. He was a little shy at first but is now crusing around the tank.

Thanks again,
Vicki

KARINA
04-18-2004, 09:49 AM
good luck with your new ;) fish