PDA

View Full Version : Shy Discus

Nick_Schembri
04-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi, Last month I bought 2 discus and they happened to be a pair. They seemed to be very shy, only when I'm around. I bought another 2 discus recently but they still seemed shy. The tank is a 75 gallon, and its planted(plastic). They have no tankmates. 2 of them are 4.5", the other 2 are 2.5".
tank water:
pH 6.0
Gh 10.0
ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 8

Did anyone have this same experience? Any suggestions on how to make them less shy?

p.s. They only hide when I enter the room but I would love to see them once in a while.( Discus are BEAUTIFUL!!)

Carol_Roberts
04-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Are they eating? If yes, feed them a little every time you walk by the tank - soon they will run to greet you. ;D

Nick_Schembri
04-19-2004, 01:12 AM
They eat alot (choosy but they eat) but I only know that because I had to spy on them. Is there a food that might attract them more than frozen bloodworms and discus granules?

Thanks.
Nicky.

April
04-19-2004, 01:16 AM
try and keep your nitrates below 5 to start. also as carol said..small feeds and wait a bit till their hungry. and then just a few pieces. so they learn to come up for food. and relate you to the food source. it may be because only 4 . i have the same problem right now . i have 4 in a 60 and they dont feel secure. it will get better im sure. see if you can find something to do near the tank. i have mine by my puter..so they see me all the time and feed them when they come up. doesnt take long before they relate it.