PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filter

aggie_67
04-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Bought a canister filter before I started reading this forum. Have disconnected it, but wonder if I could use it for biological action (no filtering) by removing all the foam and replacing with a porus medium like lava rock (cheap.)

Read where others are using it in the tank so it must be inert?

Thought is by removing filter material and replacing with a media (lava rock) that wouldn't require frequent cleaning. Or would it still need periodic cleaning??

Carol_Roberts
04-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Any filter without a prefilter will suck in uneaten food and feces. This mulm will rot in the canister whether it is filled with sponges or rocks. Sponges are easier to clean mulm out of than porus rocks ;D

SantaFeDiscus
05-09-2004, 12:59 AM
I use canister filters along with filters that hang from the back and filters that you plug your air hose into, all in the same tank. Just buy foam pads, cut a hole in the middle and slide it over your intake on each filter, this is what I do on each filter. It will provide more biological filtration and dibree won't go into your filters. Also your fish will peck at the foam pads if any black worms are stuck wiggling around on it.
-Fred

susankay1
05-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Here's what Im going to try with mine. Looks like it would work great.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=15784