PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q

Discus_Newbie19
04-21-2004, 03:47 PM
I want to start a tank of discus and looked in the paper and there is a few 90g for sale. Now I read discus for newbies and it suggested a smaller tank. Now is a little larger tank ok for growing out?? how many 2" could I fit? anything I should pick up for a discus aqaurium?
Any type that are more suited for newbies?
thanks yall

ronrca
04-21-2004, 06:12 PM
90G tank is a very good size to start with. The only equipment you need is a filter or two (aqua clears are great filters), heaters (5W/G=450W) and a method of changing a lot of water daily. No gravel is best for starting and with young discus! ;)

GulfCoastDiscus
04-22-2004, 01:57 PM
I don't use that much wattage per gal. with heaters. I use 3 watts per gal. It's best to buy 2 smaller heater than one big one.

Dan

04-22-2004, 04:21 PM
A barebottom 90 gal would be great for growing out discus, in fact probably more than you need. Better to have to much than not enough though. You could put alot of juvs in that tank for grow out if your doing daily or every other day water changes. I have 10 to 15 juvs in a 29 gal with no problems if that gives you some idea. With filters, if you want the cheap and easy method, go with 2 or 3 sponge filters in that tank, hydro spongeV(Jehmco has a great deal on them.)

Carol_Roberts
04-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Yes, you can easily grow out 20 or 30 juveniles in a 90 gallon. Do you have a market to sell off the ones you don't want? Remember as adults you will only have 9 or 10 in that size tank.

A big tank does not mean you can skip on cleaning and water changes. Personally I prefer 55 gallon for begginners growing out a first batch of 6-8 juveniles. Easy to clean, easy to change water, easy to medicate.

Discus_Newbie19
04-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Thank you for the replies
Um.... Im new here so I dont know where I could sell off the extras.
Maybe I should only get 10 juvis.... but I read that they eat better in bigger numbers so um.... what do yous think?
How much water would have to be changed in a 90g and how often? sounds like alot of buckets lol

April
04-22-2004, 10:27 PM
another option is to put a divider in the 90. and have your 10. or you could go with 12. . then..you get the benefits of a tank for them to grow into..and more water..but they would feel more secure in a smaller area. its the big area that makes them feel insecure . thats why they do better in a bigger group. a 90 gallon tank is my favourite size tank. the good thing about it ..is its still 4 feet whereas a 100 is 5 foot. so..doesnt take up more room other than a bit more width than a 50. mays well get as big as you can. and not alot more money than a 50 .