PDA

View Full Version : Anyone purchase fish from Hep's Discus?

pcgamer02
04-22-2004, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking about ordering some discus from him since its the closet. Wondering if anyone has ordered from him before. Picture's on the site look nice but it would make me less nervois if somone bought from him before. Just curioius...

http://www.hepsdiscuscenter.com/

TKD-MAN
04-22-2004, 09:18 PM
:lurk: :lurk:

GulfCoastDiscus
04-22-2004, 10:20 PM
I have lots fish from mike.

Check out my home page and see.

dan

brewmaster15
04-22-2004, 10:25 PM
I did. It wasn't a good experience.

-al

pcgamer02
04-22-2004, 10:34 PM
I have lots fish from mike.

Check out my home page and see.

dan

Awesome, thanks for the reply. My mind is at ease now :D

April
04-23-2004, 10:16 PM
mine are at the lfs. traded them for bloodworms.

pcgamer02
04-24-2004, 03:12 AM
I've got a couple private messages warning me about hep's so I think ima have to go with discusfarm.us If anyone has anything good/bad to say about them feal free to post or msg me 8)

Jeff
04-24-2004, 03:29 PM
They are always out of fish.

Carol_Roberts
04-24-2004, 04:18 PM
LOL, Jeff ;D

The ghosts I got from Jeff 3 weeks ago try to eat everything I put in the tank, my hand, the siphon hose . . .

RandalB
04-24-2004, 04:30 PM
I've gotten some awesome fish from Jeff (Aka Discusfarm.us) . All healthy with no problems. All passed QT with no difficulties and the packing/shipping process was top notch.

He Gets 2x :thumbsup: from me.

RandalB

pcgamer02
04-24-2004, 05:07 PM
They are always out of fish.

LOL, when I e-mailed him he said they were out ;D

JPW
04-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Jeff is first rate to deal with.
I wish I had pic's to show you of the last 2 orders of Discus we received from him.
I highly recommend !!

Jeff is very good to work with!

Jeanne/ Jim

pcgamer02
04-25-2004, 03:24 AM
There is a new fishstore I just found out about called chiclids n salt, about 20 mins away form where I live. They have some beatiful cobalt blue discus for 15 dolllars! Also I bought about 4 koi angels for 10 dollars. I think ima like that place :D. I'm gonna order some discus from Jeff still, the store has VERY limited supply of discus.

Carol_Roberts
04-25-2004, 10:58 AM
A word of warning. There are diseases out there. You must quarantine new discus stock from existing discus stock. It is best to get your discus from one source at one time. Do not buy a few discus from one fish store and then add a few discus from another source. More than likely you will end up with sick discus.

Generally fish stores receive 2nd quality discus from wholesalers who deal in a wide variety of fish from many sources that may harbor all manner of diseases.

Personally, I would buy from someone who specializes in discus. Chances are you will get a healthier and much prettier discus.

Discusgeo
04-25-2004, 02:03 PM
pcgamer02 I would stay away from the Pet Store fish as Carol said they are second class Discus and not always in the best condition. That $15.00 may cause you alot of problems down the road. If your thinking about purchasing your Discus from Jeff I think you made a very wise choice. It's been about 6 weeks since I got 8 Snow Whites from Jeff and all are doing great. I already have gotten a pair that are doing the love dance and moved them into their own 29 gal tank this weekend. Once they spawn I will get a photo posted on the forum showing them off.
George

CHEWAL
04-25-2004, 03:24 PM
I agree with Carol there are a lot of sick fish out there at the lfs remember you get what you pay for The wait for Jeff to get his fish in is well worth it I have got fish from Jeff the last 4 shipments All have been great all top notch and very HEALTHY :drummer: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pcgamer02
04-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the warnings Carol and Discusgeo. If I buy any discus from Chichlids and salt and I be sure to quarantine the fish for a couple months.

pcgamer02
04-25-2004, 03:33 PM
I wanted to add that the cobalt blue's this guy had were really the best quality discus I have seen in person. If I were to say buy some PB's and Cobalts from him and then later on quarantine some manderain passions and red turqs and put those in with his fish. THink It would be very risky? (Discus farm is just really expensive, but I will gladly pay if it minimizes the risk to my discus =)

Carol_Roberts
04-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi PC:
Have you ever had another hobby like skate boarding or racing bikes? If so you may have seen that some kids started off with cheap equipment that they quickly had to upgrade while others maybe had a big brother or someone to point out the good beginner stuff. Stuff that would take them a long way in the hobby and that they could be proud to show off to other enthusiasts.

We're just trying to save you from wasting time and tank space on low quality discus. I think Jeff had a beginner package of discus reasonably priced.

pcgamer02
04-25-2004, 05:43 PM
Hi PC:
Have you ever had another hobby like skate boarding or racing bikes? If so you may have seen that some kids started off with cheap equipment that they quickly had to upgrade while others maybe had a big brother or someone to point out the good beginner stuff. Stuff that would take them a long way in the hobby and that they could be proud to show off to other enthusiasts.

We're just trying to save you from wasting time and tank space on low quality discus. I think Jeff had a beginner package of discus reasonably priced.

He's all sold out at the moment. I appricate you trying to steer me in the right direction, I want to make as little mistakes as possible :) . SO I guess discusfarm here I come!

Discusgeo
04-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Great analogy Carol.

pcgamer02 tell me if these Discus are worth the time and money I had to save for instead of buying the cheaper Discus in the pet store. You are going to get what you pay for. The time it will take you to save a little more money for the higher quality Discus will be worth it. Now I am broke because of it. Just kidding but I was poorer after this buy.
8)
Snow Whites from Jeff@discusfarm.us
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-1/7658/XJQMR-SN4.jpg
8)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-1/7658/LHMZW-SN6.jpg
8)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-1/7658/POIWI-SW2.jpg

pcgamer02
04-25-2004, 07:27 PM
THose are some sexy discus!

Wahter
04-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Carol, aren't there other breeders/ importers in Oregon? Maybe pcgamer02 could visit 3 breeders/impoters and then choose to deal with one from that. :)

pcgamer02
04-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Carol, aren't there other breeders/ importers in Oregon? Maybe pcgamer02 could visit 3 breeders/impoters and then choose to deal with one from that. :)

The only breeder I know of is Hep's :(

brewmaster15
04-26-2004, 12:31 AM
You might also talk to Jeff Doty...Hes a great hobbyist breeder of discus and other cichlids located in oregon...

you can contact him at...

http://www.southamericancichlids.com/

email...
yvanandjeff@southamericancichlids.com

Both Jeffs would be good to work with and will stand behind their fish better than most LFS,. IMO. Support like that is critical these days.

hth,
-al

ps, Heps isn't a breeder. I don't know of anyone that has Fish that Heps bred. His business base is that of an importer. If you are looking for a great breeder, try Cary Strong at Great lakes discus or some of the hobbyists breeders on this site that ship.

04-27-2004, 07:55 AM
I would contact Jeff if he is close. He used to post on the boards and was great to chat with, but I don't see him around anymore? A big loss IMO.

mattd

pcgamer02
04-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Just got off the phone with Jeff (Discus Farm). He is out of discus right now but will have some in a month's time (including quarantine). After talking to him, I will definitely be buying discus from him!

RandalB
04-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Definately worth the wait PC. Healthy good quality stock is one of the secrets to discus success. Now get your water change routine down and you'll have another one of the secrets locked in.

RandalB

chinoz
04-28-2004, 01:20 PM
I did purchase some fish from Mike too...and as of now they are all burried in the backyard..... :'(

I either go with Cary or Joe

Willie
05-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Jeff's got the best imports around these days, so he's always going to be out. Its not a fish store. You can't just walk in and pick the fish you want. Here's what you need to do.

1. Call Jeff.
2. Ask him what types are coming in.
3. Look at the pix.
4. Pick some fish.
5. Send him a 50% deposit.
6. Sit tight.

Willie

pcgamer02
05-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Mike Hepner gave me a called today. We had a good talk, he gave me his side of things which was very informative. His website has just been updated with some amazing fish. And he is damn close so I might drive up there and check it out.

One this is for certain, its freaking hard to pick who to buy discus from!

brewmaster15
05-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Picking Discus is easy, everyone sells them. Finding someone who knows what they are talking about , can help you if theres an issue, and has ethics is whats tough.

Personally I like to start with purchasing from someone that has been breeding, raising or selling Discus for years with few problems. Everyone has issues sometime...its how they deal with them that matters. Next look for someone that is on the boards helping people....It will show you were their hearts really are.

Good luck,
-al

captainandy
05-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Let me tell you, without malice, my experience with Hep's discus. Several months ago, when I just started, I saw some very appealing pictures on his web site. I was very impressed with all his pictures and decided to purchase 3 expensive fish. Two passed away while in a holding tank. One survived, a red passion. The fish has survived, done well and infact has layed eggs at least a dozen times. However, at best, it looks like a cheap marlborough red. Black fins, dark eyes, heavily speckled and about 1/2 red. When I contacted Hep, he responded by telling me that the chance of my discus looking like the ones on the site is "very low."
If I were a breeder or importer, I certainly wouldn't hand a customer a line of crap like that. Not for a hundred bucks for a 3 inch fish.

pcgamer02
05-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Its hard to get such conflicting info. Over at daah.info everyone sings his praises. ANd here death is associated with him.

captainandy
05-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Not giving you my opinion. Just relating my experience. From my perspective, the people that I've met on this site are absolutely wonderful. Very dedicated to quality in all facets of the hobby.

RWM32779
05-08-2004, 04:08 PM
I got fish from Hep's about 3 months ago.My report would be good and bad.I got 6 super fire ruby's that he had on aquabid.He said actual fish you saw were the one's you would get.What I got were exactly the fish I saw he even asked me if their was a particular one
that I had seen that I wanted and I got it. They were 3" fish and I now
have a spawning pair of top notch fish.
Now the bad. They had a hitchiker,I believe to be a protozoan.Through my carelessness it cost me a couple of my other fish. I use a python to do water changes and this allowed it to get in my other tanks.Two drops of formalin per gallon and salt works overnight one drop has no effect at all.Once I was aware of it, it was not a problem and it seems to be a common problem with imported fish
The fish I got didn't appear sick they just seemed to be breathing heavy which is the first sign.lol Robert

05-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Its hard to get such conflicting info. Over at daah.info everyone sings his praises. ANd here death is associated with him.

You need to read a little bit more over at daah.info as it is not all positive.
With that said I will throw in my 2 cents which is to purchase fish that are bred by a breeder in US or Canada and leave the imports alone until you have kept discus for a while. JMO

mattd

brewmaster15
05-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Hi all,
Just a friendly reminder for everyone to review the site rules on feedback..

http://www.simplydiscus.com/mission_statement.html

Thanks,
al

chuckbam
05-10-2004, 03:04 PM
I have good experience :D

Fishin dude
05-10-2004, 03:50 PM
I did too. :D

ejm9
05-10-2004, 05:24 PM
u guys got me worried, I just placed an order with mike

chuckbam
05-10-2004, 05:27 PM
u guys got me worried, I just placed an order with mike

What did you buy?

ejm9
05-10-2004, 05:31 PM
SAN MERAH

chuckbam
05-10-2004, 05:37 PM
I just received an order two weeks ago and everything look nice and is doing well. :) I purchased whites and PBs.

You should be all right.

pcgamer02
05-11-2004, 10:13 PM
ejm, lemme know how your fishies arive :D. ITs driving me nuts trying to pick an importer/breeder to get fish from.

ejm9
05-12-2004, 08:23 AM
o.k. will do expect arrival on fri, or sat.

Fishin dude
05-13-2004, 04:46 PM
I purchased almost 50 discus in 3 orders from Big Mike over the last month or so.
There were no DOAs and still are not.
Bigger fish than expected and eat like crazy.
I was looking at the San Merah...look like they have great shape, and I bet you are used to including the tail in the measurement? :bandana:

ejm9
05-17-2004, 02:32 PM
San merah arrived sat. in excellant condition after a coast to coast flt.packaging was great as water temp was still 80. discus are now eating and are every bit as good as advertised round shape and colorful.Will purchase again, check his web site as i believe a shipment has recently arrived.

pcgamer02
05-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Awesome,

Shawn from Chichlidsandsalt.com is going up to portland and is nice enough to pick up some fish for me from mike heppner so I wont even have to pay for shipping. ALthough if one of the fish die im screwed.

mommafish
05-18-2004, 02:34 AM
That is very considerate. Although, I highly recommend going up to Portland and picking out your own fish. The gaurantee and selection will be better if you choose your own fish. Good Luck.

pcgamer02
05-18-2004, 02:37 AM
Im not too picky on what my fish look like, and from what ive heard mike doesnt really have any ugly fish. Im sure shawn will pick out some nice ones.( I hope :D)

mommafish
05-18-2004, 02:48 AM
PC, You have a pretty good attitude. Your right Mike will give the best. Post pics when you can. Thanks ;)

pcgamer02
05-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Going to get the fish on wed. So I will post pics on thursday prob.

snowfire
05-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi,

I am glad you finally made a decision. It's great that you will be able to go pick out the fish yourself. I think you will have alot to choose from. Can't wait to see pictures.

Anastasia

cichlidsandsalt
05-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Just wanted to add my two cents to this discussion. I understand that a lot of you have probably had bad experiences with local pet store discus but before you just start saying that because they are coming from a pet store they are low grade. My Cobalt Blues are coming from a local breeder that lives not 10 mins from my shop. I personally go over and hand select the discus. I also buy discus from Mike to get different color varieties. All local bred discus and the imports(from Hep) are kept separate. I advise people to wait on the imported discus that I have recieved until I have them for a minimum of a week. This is on top of the between week to week and a half that Hep has it for. I fully stand behind every fish that I sell from my store. Being as I am a breeder also(not discus yet) I know about standards. Imported discus are imported discus. It is all about how they are handled after they are recieved and everyone gets good and bad batches. I prefer to buy all of my fish from breeders that is why I am setting up my local guys with new color strains of discus.

Sean
Cichlids and Salt
www.cichlidsandsalt.com

05-22-2004, 02:18 AM
I did. I don't regret. I have some lovely Goldens from Mike (Aug, 2003). He gave me a proven pair. They spawned numerous times. Still doing fabulous. Photos of them are somewhere in the photo section and I will be updating pictures soon. Got a few surprises to show.

My last order from MIke was not the best. I certainly understand his need to attend the Asian Discus Event. So, with my order he had to rush it out before leaving for Malaysia. I had a problem with two Wilds. But now everything's a-okay for now as well as the Blue Diamonds from him.

**angie**

daveycrockett
05-26-2004, 12:16 AM
listen to the wise and experienced people on here and order from someone on this site. Carol and Al know thier stuff ;)

wsoxman
06-20-2004, 10:18 PM
The very best way to buy Discus is face to face. Nose to tank. See what you are getting. See what conditions the other fish in the tank are in. See if the fish come to the front of the tank.
AND PICK YOUR OWN.
Not everyone's 3inch is 3inch. Not everyone's Red is Red.
Ask questions of the breeder too.
What do they eat and water conditions.
And ask to see the parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!