PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Coolpix 4500

aggie_67
04-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Trying to use manual focus on my coolpix 4500 but have been unsucessful. Can anyone give me some advise?

lesley
04-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Sounds like yours is considerably more updated than mine (995), so this might not be of much help.

On the 995 you need to make sure that you are setting the exposure mode to what you need, i.e. A you are setting the aperture, S you are setting the shutter speed. To choose these on mine you have rotate the command dial when also pressing the mode button.

HTH

aggie_67
04-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Appreciate your help, your camera uses the same procedure as mine, my problem may be in "my expectations." When I read manual focus my mind goes back to my Minolta SRT101 days and in manual I expect to be able to look through the view finder and see the focus change as I make adjustments (rotate command dial?) I can get all the appropriate ions for manual focus but looking through the view finder it's still blurry. Did make one breakthrough since my first post. Remimbered a class I went to and pushed the shutter down half way, the autofocus light comes on and the image in the view finder came into focus. But according to my thought this is "auto" not "manual" focus. Is this how yours works?

Trying to get this down to take Macro shots of fish
closeups, etc.

Small world we live in now of global information. It was a tremendous experience when I was in Adelaide back in the 80's to help start up a plant and now you are helping me from my study.

lesley
04-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi Aggie 67,

I am finding that when I use the manual focus trying to get pics of fish, I run into problems with insufficient light. I have enclosed two that were taken at the same time - hand held, fish were right at the front of the tank not moving much. One I was lucky the other well.. The third pic was using a tripod. Generally I find that the low light and movement do not go well for me. I have to use a tripod to get reliably sharp pics. There is a post here somewhere (within the last couple of months) talking about photos and some really good help on it. One of the suggestions was to set the ISO at 200, which I have not yet done. I haven't tried out a lot of the settings yet -I reckon once I've mastered the manual I should be able to apply for a job as a space shuttle pilot.

I have had some stunning photos from the Nikon, but generally not the fish. I think if you keep experimenting you will get there.

lesley
04-24-2004, 11:59 PM
bit better

lesley
04-25-2004, 12:01 AM
with tripod

lesley
04-25-2004, 12:08 AM
Further,

the first two were using the S setting and yes, sort of guessing for the focus, like you I got used to SLR's and expect more of being able to "see" better. I have had success using the macro, the third pic was with this.

The first two were not using the flash, as you can see the third was. The third pic would not have been taken without a flash, just not enough lighting.

We were in Adelaide in the late 1970's in Hahndorf and Woodside. Came back to Melbourne, Vic. in 1982. Was a great city to get around, but with the country close by.

aggie_67
04-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Those were stunning pictures and fish too!!!! And they were only in 640X480, in high definition I would have them framed in my office. If I can get that good I'll be a happy man.

I agree with you on understanding manual, but that's why I bought the camera. Wanted one that had enough changes, one that would shoot and click for now, but features requiring continued learning.

Talking about it bring back some tidbites of information. Keeping the aperture as small as possible gives you a better depth of field. Setting it at 200 (probably a good number for discus if they are in there calm mood) gives you the smallest aperture setting hence good depth of field, better chances of being in focus. Do have one question, you tied focus in with light? In my understanding focus is not dependent on light, shutter speed, or aperture. It is a mechanical adjustment of the lens. That's for SRT's, not sure about digitals?

aggie_67
04-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Think I finally figured it out. My problem was I was looking for an infinite focus adjustment like my SRT camera, where as it appears the digital equalivalent is a step wise setting. Once in the manual focus setting you can move the control dial for focus, as the bar shrinks toward the flower the focus is closer, as it goes to the mountains it is farther. This adjustment is in clicks, once you have made the adjustment you move the camera minutely in or out to get the subject in focus.

brewmaster15
04-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Hi aggie,
I use a nikon 4500 and have for over a year now. Most of my pics posted here are taken with it. I have used it for fish in both manual and auto.. The auto functions really work for fish...

If I can help let me know...Its a great camera!

-al

brewmaster15
04-25-2004, 01:26 PM
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/71/A8/25217905-39c1-021C0195-.jpg

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/66/A8/25217894-bbb3-0195021C-.jpg

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/AC/47/28143276-8ebf-021C0195-.jpg

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/94/46/28143252-5196-021C0195-.jpg

all above on auto

-al

aggie_67
04-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Do you just use auto with flash?

brewmaster15
04-27-2004, 10:08 PM
yes. The key is to stand about 2 feet from the tank and use the auto focus /zoom functions.

hth,
al