PDA

View Full Version : filters uncycled Help!

bernie82
04-24-2004, 01:13 AM
I just moved and although I tried to save the cycled sponge filters by putting them in containers with water from the tanks they were in, they are not working now in the resetup tanks in my new home. I have two 60 gallon tanks, one 80 gallon and 1 30 with a breeding pair in it. The 3 larger tanks have a pretty good size load in them. I use the Rainbow double sponges (2 sets in each of the larger tanks and 1 set in the 30 that has the two breeders.) The larger tanks have Bio wheel filters as well that have also uncycled).
The ammomia readings are high in all the tanks for 10 days now. Even the 30 with just 2 fish is testing at 1ppm Ammonia. The larger tanks with big loads are testing at 2 to 3 PPM ammonia. I'm doing 50% water changes twice a day and using Ammo-lock which claims not to remove the Ammonia but render it harmless to the fish. It is impossible to get "Bio Spira" right now. Marineland has stopped producing it until July.
I tried "Amquel" to remove the Ammonia. I needed to use 3 times the recommended dose to remove the ammonia and my fish became so lethargic after using it, that I could pick them up in my hands.
All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pcgamer02
04-24-2004, 04:14 AM
Buy a crapload of bio-spira and your filter will be re-cycled within 24 hrs.

bernie82
04-24-2004, 05:46 AM
Hi Pcgamer02. Thanks for the great advice. If you read my post thoughly, you would seen that it is impossible to get Bio Spira for fresh water use until July. Marineland has stopped selling it. Life just isn't that easy.

Ardan
04-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Hi,
Keep up the wc's,
feed lightly,
keep the tank very clean, ie wipe the sides often.
Double check the tests with another kit.
make sure the filters are cleaned in dechlor water once or twice a wk or daily on a prefilter sponge (this eliminates bioload)

Check for chloramines and nitrites in the tap water. Chloramines will leave ammonia in the water after the chlorine is removed.

hth

Carol_Roberts
04-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Your test kits will give false postivies for ammonia with many ammo lock products. You need a nessler test kit I think.

Ardan is correct keep up with the large water changes - several times a day if needed and keep the tank clean. Salt will help when you start to show nitrItes.

Your filters should cycle in a couple of weeks - unless you rinsed them in chlorine water.

If you don't have the right ammonia test kit, this weekend you may want to just do water changes until ammonia shows zero. Then you can accurately gauge how quickly the ammonia raises after water change and how much water it takes to lower it to zero.

Watch out for hex problems from stressed discus next week . . . .

jules
04-24-2004, 07:32 PM
I have used Cycle with good results before; however opinions vary on it.