PDA

View Full Version : Confused by water readings.

pcgamer02
04-27-2004, 05:43 PM
My 55 gallon tank I set up a couple weeks ago is giving me weird readings. I did a water change and added 3mg/l (ppm) of clear amonia.(Before the w/c there was like 7ppm of amonia, I sorta over dosed it at first heh it was at) I have watched the nitrite's spike and then go to zero and the nitrates build up. But the stupid amonia doesnt seem to ever leave the tank. ANyway the reason I was expecting it to be done cycling is that I but a craplaod of bio-spira in the tank. AND a fully cycled bio-wheel from a fully stocked tank thats been set up for a while. I have never done a fishless cycle so Im not sure what's going on.

Carol_Roberts
04-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Are you sure your ammonia test kit is accurate?

Are you using Prime or another dechlor product that is giving false positives for ammonia?

Do a 95% water change with aged dechlorinated water. Test ammonia to make sure ammonia reads zero. Then add a capful of ammonia or enough to make 3 ppm.

Test ammonia, nitrItes, etc. next day

pcgamer02
04-27-2004, 06:06 PM
I dont have any aged water. (Discus I've seen do fine around here with straight tap water w/ dechloreinator product) I can do a 95 percent w/c and just not use and dechlorinator products. Im using DocWellfishes StreesCoat right now, when thats out I have a bottle of novaquil or somthign I think.

Carol_Roberts
04-27-2004, 06:16 PM
The chlorine in the water will kill your biofilter if you don't use a dechlor product.

Do a 95% water change with filters out of tank. Add dechlor product. stir water. Test for ammonia (test pH too). Ammonia should read zero. Start filters, add ammonia until it registers 3 or 4 ppm on the test kit. Wait 24 hours and test again for ammonia and pH and nitrITes and nitrAtes. Post numbers here. We'll get it figured out ;D

pcgamer02
04-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Here are my results after about 24hours.

Amonia 2ppm
Nitrate 0
Nitrite >5
ph 7.3

I'd think everything would be zero since I dumped and unholy ammount of bio-spira and 1/2 of a cycled filter in my tank :(

Carol_Roberts
04-28-2004, 09:38 PM
IF your filter was fully cycled the ammonia and nitrIte should read zero and you should read some nitrAte.

IS the biowheel still running on this tank?

What was the initial ammonia reading this time (yesterday)?

The pH is 7.3 after 24 hours in the tank - What is your pH directly from the tap?

pcgamer02
04-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Bio Wheels are still spinning. Initial Reading was 4ppm's I think. From tap the ph is the same I think, mabye a tad higher.

Howie_W
04-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Just a suggestion...

Why don't you try cycling your new tank with a couple small fish...I've always found this works the best. :idea2:

Howie

Carol_Roberts
04-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Sorry Howie, the pure ammonia method is the best by far. You get a much larger bacteria bed established in the same amount of time without the worry of dither fish bringing in pests or diseases.

Howie_W
04-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Hi Carol,

Why would I have pests/diseases from established healthy fish?

Howie

Carol_Roberts
04-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Just like people most all fish carry a host of bugs and bacteria . . . flukes and flagellates too, but in low doses that don't impact a healthy fish. These are introduced into the aquarium with the fish. IF you start with pure ammonia you start with a disease free tank. It's true the new fish that come in will have their own bugs and diseases, but they are used to them and may not have an immunity to something hitch hiking on a danio . . . like when you go to a forgien country - the locals can drink the water, but you can't.

Howie_W
04-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi Carol! :wave:

I don't disagree with you, as there are always some risks involved in life...as a matter of fact...that's why I always suck down a few amonia chasers when drinking the local water on foreign soils. :puke:

I used to advocate buying all kinds of stuff to dump in the water to help maintain the perfect set-up, balance etc. However, overtime, I feel like many fish enthusiats dump insane amounts of money on products they just don't need. If I want to cycle a new tank, I'll usually grab a healthy biowheel from an existing tank, and move it to a new one. After the tank has been up, and running for a while, I'll move some small fish, such as Tetra's over to the tank and let them live there for a while. When I'm ready to bring home some new fish, I return the existing ones to their previous tank. Futhermore, I will only borrow fish from an existing Discus tank. I've never had a problem doing this. Perhaps it's not the best method, but I find that it works.

Howie

Carol_Roberts
04-29-2004, 04:13 PM
When I remove all the fish from a tank I keep the filter alive by feeding it pure ammonia. 24 hours before adding new fish I do a 95% water change and clean the filters.

I always run two sponges inside my aqua clears too. I've had folks bring me a new sponge and I've sent them home with one of my fully cycled ones. ;D