PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - How often to test

KD
04-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Just figured I throw this out there.
How often should GH , KH, PH, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrites be tested in a mature cycled tank that is cleaned every day , aprrox. 25 percent water changes?

Amadhunter
04-29-2004, 10:22 PM
I test for ammonia, nitrates, PH, and nitrites about once a week. TDS all the time, only because it's easy with the meter I got from RandalB.
Gotta make sure those parameters don't fluctuate too much I think. :)

Carol_Roberts
04-30-2004, 12:10 AM
I only test GH if I'm trying to breed and using RO.

I test for ammonia if I've had a tank empty for awhile with the filter kept alive with ammonia or made a big change in the amount of fish in a tank.

My pH is always between 7.6 - 8.0 in the the tanks - I rarely bother to test it anymore.

Fish Addict
04-30-2004, 11:57 AM
I only test the water when my fish are sick..

I used do to 25% of water change 2x a week. Now I use aged water and do 50% of water change daily..

stygian7
05-03-2004, 10:59 PM
When I started fertilizing for my plants, I tested Iron and Nitrate every day. I have pH CO2 controlled, so the meter tells me what it is all the time. Lots of filtration and water changes, so I didn't worry about Ammonia or Nitrites. KH about once a month. I've never tested GH, then again, I'm not trying to breed.
Once I got a feel for my tanks fertilizer requirements, I cut back to testing Iron and Nitrates once a week. I can usually tell if nitrates get close to 10ppm; one of my discus will start hiding. I guess he's hypersensitive, but acts like a test kit or alarm on his own.

KD
05-04-2004, 07:32 AM
I figured this would help us newbies after they have established tanks.
THANKS!!! :)
Karen