PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have too much filtration?

Cosmo
05-02-2004, 10:33 PM
I've often wondered if it's possible to over filter, or, use too much aeration? I've always tended towards the overkill side. Unfortunately, I have acrylic tanks and I can't use the AC filters you all seem to love so much.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Jim

RyanH
05-02-2004, 11:41 PM
I don't think it's necessarily possible to over filter or aerate but you do want to be aware of how much water current you have moving in your tank. Discus prefer calmer water and will tend to move to the quieter parts of the tank if your water is moving around too fast. However, I have seen Discus "play" in bubble columns and falling water from my A/C's.

Cosmo
05-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I had always thought more was better than too little so I run about about twice the capacity that the cannisters are rated for.

I have spray bars across almost the entire back of the tank, probably about 40? small jets so I get good surface agitation but not a whole lot of strong current. Originally went this route 'cause they hated the jet that came out of the bulkhead fitting - they seem to be quite happy with this setup.

They seem facinated by the bubbles out of the airstone, but haven't seen 'em swim thru any yet

RyanH
05-04-2004, 01:57 AM
If you are going to use canisters just make sure you clean them very regularly. They can collect a ton of crap in a hurry and you can kiss your clean water goodbye. I would outfit the intake with a prefilter and get in the habit of rinsing your media once a week or so in a pail of warm tank water.

When I first got into Discus I thought that Fluvals were the greatest things since the invention of the wheel. I had many stunted Discus that proved that they are not. Again, if you are going to use canisters, keep them clean. Seriously.

The spray bars are a good call.

Cosmo
05-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi again Ryan,

I have prefilters on my biological filters but not on the mechanical or chemical ones since I want them to suck up any floating debrie. I have E-heims and in general clean out the bio filters every three weeks and the other two about every two weeks. If I let them go any longer they smell like a sewer when I open them

The e-heims are great, but the sintered glass media is a pain to clean, especially on the classic series where the pins can fall off if you tilt the cannister during cleaninig. The prefilters are a big help on keeping them clean though.

PS. Have one of those e-heim wet/dry filters on my 180 - the thing is really cool to watch as it alternately fills and empties to expose the media to air.

Cosmo
05-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Ryan,

Was curious last night after I wrote you so I went upstairs and actually counted the jets the spraybars put out (I was in the middle of a water change so it was easy lol) and it's actually 64.

RyanH
05-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Based on what you are describing, I would be very concerned about waste rotting in your filters. Mechanical filtration is fine as long as the waste is removed on a daily basis. This is most easily achieved by the use of a prefilter which can be rinsed out. You do not want buildup of pollutants sitting in your filter and destroying your water quality. (If only someone could invent a freshwater equivilant to the protein skimmer then Discus would not have to live in their own waste any longer. This will be a glorious day for Discus keepers.)

In addition, I assume you are referring to carbon when you mention chemical filtration. If you decide to use carbon, do so with extreme care. Replace it regularly (every couple of weeks to be safe) or you will have problems. If you are keeping up with your water changes then carbon is actually not necessary. They serve basically the same purpose except changed water does not dump back into your tank after awhile. I keep carbon around only to remove meds.

hth!
-Ryan

Cosmo
05-04-2004, 08:09 PM
I've tried to come up with some idea on how to pre filter the water using something like a lifeguard mechanical module but can't get around the issue that the pump has to be in front of the module rather than behind it, otherwise, I could hook it to the cannister intake. Easy to empty the waste then. Thought of trying a protein skimmer too but all the sellers tell me it's a waste of time on freshwater... bummer.

I worry about the waste too, but theres surprisingly little in the cannisters (forgot to mention I turn them off at feeding time then turn them back on an hour and a half later with timers).

My little saying in Simply that "my wife thinks I'm crazy" refers to the daily water changes. All I hear is " I thought this was supposed to be relaxing lol

Lastly, don't use carbon, use Chemi Pure and change it far more often than Boyd recommeds. Probably a waste, but I read somewhere that correct ion loads make for happy fish so thought I'd give it a try.

Again, thanks for all your input, really do appreciate it.

Have to ask though, what does hth stand for? have seen it from several people but I'm clueless

Take care,
Jim

RyanH
05-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Hey Jim,

My wife thinks I'm crazy too!

I actually find water changes relaxing. I have a system down that's not really that much work. I don't even think about it as a chore anymore.

Unfortunately protein skimmers only work in saltwater because unlike freshwater, saltwater gets very frothy when its agitated. The skimmers works on that property and therefore are, unfortunately, worthless to Discus keepers.

I'm not familiar with Chemi Pure but being from the "old school" I'm a huge believer in the KISS method to Discus keeping. No chemicals, no additives, no fancy or expensive equipment. Just sponge and backhanging power filters and lots of warm, aged, dechlorinated, clean tap water. Since I've embraced this philosophy I've had much happier, healthier, bigger fish. But we all have to learn for ourselves what works best for us!

hth is short for "hope that helps".

If you have more questions or concerns let us know! This is what we are all here for.

-Ryan