PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Questions

JoeFromDC
05-03-2004, 10:09 AM
A little over a month ago I purchased 6 juveniles and 8 fry from Cary. The juvies are currently in a 29 gal. and the 7 fry (lost one the first week :() are in a 15 gal.

I have the option of moving the 6 juvies (which are all growing and doing well) to either a 54 or 90 gal. tank; however, because of my current water storage system and space issues, I would only be able to change around 25 gals. of water a day in this tank. Any thoughts on what would be better - to put the fish in the 54 with approx. 50% daily water changes or in the 90 gal. with approx. 30% daily water changes?

My next question relates to how the fry are growing out. They all started approximately the same size, but now 2 are huge (doubled in size at least), 1 almost seems like it hasn't grown at all and the rest are somewhere in the middle. I have noticed that the larger fish are getting a bit aggressive during feeding (I feed CBW, frozen blood worms or ON1 flakes 6+ times a day) and some of the smaller ones don't seem all that interested in eating compared to the largest ones. Any thoughts on what, if anything, I should be doing differently? I take it that trying to separate these fish (i.e., move the 4 smallest to another tank) wouldn't be a good idea since they like to be in groups.

Thanks,
Joe

Carol_Roberts
05-03-2004, 11:37 AM
I'd put the 6 juveniles in the 54 for now.

Try raising the temp and maybe a divider with the fry (big on one side little on the other) making sure the little guys get lots of cbw

Howie_W
05-03-2004, 12:44 PM
I second Carol's suggestion;

A 50% daily water change in the 54 gal. tank, and your fish will be fine.

The divider for the fry may also work well; try to spend some time observing the fish after they've been fed...it sounds like the more aggressive fish may have simply been taking the others share of the food.

Howie