PDA

View Full Version : Red Worms - How are you collecting them?

chavez720
05-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Sorry if this has been asked a million times.

So I got a bucket of red worms. They have been reproducing and now I have enough of the small 1/2"-1" babies to start feeding my fish. They only seem to enjoy this size whole. Just wondering how everyone is collecting them to feed their fish??? I have been scooping out a shovel full and then picking out the small babies. This is getting rather tedious, 1/2 hr at a time, so I only feed them during the weekend. Would eventually like to go one meal a day as this seems to put weight on the fish quickly. Is there a quicker and cleaner way to get like 50-100 babies at a time?

DarkDiscus
05-03-2004, 03:16 PM
I take a piece of moist bread and put it in one corner of the bin just under the soil. I wait a day and uncover the bread - it should be covered with worms for you to harvest.

John

Worm Girl
05-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Hi, Chavez! ;D
I can suggest a couple of methods ---
One method we use in capturing the worms (cleanly) is to take an onion sack and fill it full of decomposing fruits/vegetables. Bury it in your bin and leave it for a day or two. When you go back to lift the sack, you will find it full of worms that have migrated into the sack to feed. ;D
Another method we use are bananas......red worms LOVE bananas. Split one down the center and lay it out flat, mashing up the inside before you lay it down. Once the banana reaches and acceptable level of decomposition, (about a week or so, depending on the temperature) you will find hundreds of your smaller worms inside the peel!
Hope this helps!
Worm Girl

chavez720
05-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Tried the bread not much luck. Will try the onion sack, that sounds kind of interesting. May try with the bananas but I like eating them too much.

One method I did try was to take a shovel full of the soil and dumped it in a gallon mason jar. Then filled it with water until it covered all the dirt. I let it sit for about an hour. Low and behold I got about 25-30 of the cleanest worms from this method. Now to find out how I can recycle the dirt back into the bin.

Worm Girl
05-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Thought I would try attaching a picture of the "banana method" so you could see how marvelously it works! ;D If you were to open up that peel, the entire inside is stuffed with worms where the banana used to be! ;)