PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Eggs??? New Information!!!

patrick
05-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Has anyone heard of feeding discus 'shrimp eggs'?

If so, please share your opinions? How would someone be able to obtain fresh shrimp eggs?

Thank you, Patrick

05-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Nope, this is the first I ever heard about it. If and when you do find it please let us know your experiences.

**Angie**

patrick
05-13-2004, 10:57 PM
I found some interesting information regarding Shrimp Eggs not to be confused with Brine Shrimp.

My source is Jack Wattley's Handbook of Discus 1985 page 79.

"One of the finest foods to put rapid growth on small discus are the bright eggs of the native shrimp Macrobrachium rosenbergi. When fed these nutritious eggs, the young discus not only grow rapidly but also exhibit the orange-red coloring of the eggs throughout their bodies."

I've known for about 3 years that shrimp eggs were being fed to discus, but I did not any of this information until very recently.

The good news, as result of my research I was able to find a supplier that is willing to send me 30 kilograms at a time. That's lot. For starters I am going to order 5 kilograms with my next discus shipment.

The supplier informed me to do the following for feeding discus prawn/shrimp eggs:

1. Do not keep the prawn/shrimp eggs in the freezer. Keep them in the refrigerator.

2. Feed the fish 2 times per day, morning and evening.

- 50 fish need 1 teaspoon of eggs
-100 fish need 1 tablespoon of eggs

3. Be careful of the water quality in the discus tank. Before feeding the prawn/shrimp eggs, rinse eggs in clean tap water by putting them in a net.

4. Feeding discus prawn eggs, it will bring out a natural red color.

5. The eggs keep up 100 days in the refrigerator.

As this point, I do not know if U.S. Fish and Wildlife will let me import the shrimp eggs. The eggs have to be shipped via express mail packaged with dry ice.

Patrick (Denver, CO) ;D

gary1218
05-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Where are you getting the eggs from and at what price?

GARY

patrick
05-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Gary,

My cost, it is approximately $12 per kilogram ($6 per lb.) not including shipping/packaging/handling charges. If I am able import the prawn eggs, I would probably sell it only in Denver.

As far as my supplier, I would like to keep that proprietary for the time being. ;)

What do you think of the shrimp eggs?

Sincerely, Patrick (Denver)

Jeff
05-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Shrimp eggs = Shrimp Roe. It's a good enhancer. 5 Kilos is a lot. It will go bad before you can use that much. If you can get lobster roe it's even better. ;)

stygian7
05-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Gary,

My cost, it is approximately $12 per kilogram ($6 per lb.) not including shipping/packaging/handling charges. If I am able import the prawn eggs, I would probably sell it only in Denver.

As far as my supplier, I would like to keep that proprietary for the time being. ;)

What do you think of the shrimp eggs?

Sincerely, Patrick (Denver)

Sure you won't ship to Michigan?

Jeff, it sounds like you've used roe before; where did you get it from and how much. What kind of response did you get from your fish? Also, do I need to look for roe that is raw, or is salted okay? I'm assuming that it's highly unlikely that the roe could bring pathogens in.

-Kevin

Jeff
05-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Roe can be found in Chinese markets. It can have problems associated with it. Do your research and see for your self. You prob wouldn't believe me if I told you. The benefits can be good.