PDA

View Full Version : Cory cats

surfzone
05-11-2004, 11:21 PM
is it alright if i put a few cory cats in the tank wiht my discus ?

Howie_W
05-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi surfzone,

You don't mention the exact type of "Corydoras" you are referring to, as there are an enormous variety of them. I'm guessing you are referring to the albino or bronze type, which are among the most common. If this is the case, than yes, they can be used as part of a community Discus tank.

Keep in mind, that Cory's are best in a group of six or more, and prefer tanks with some type of substrate such as sand, or medium gravel, similar to what you would find in a natural shoal. They would be best suited to some kind of planted tank.

Also, if these are new fish, the standard quarantine time applies as well before placing them in with Discus.

Howie

nirfun
05-12-2004, 01:18 PM
I agree with Howie,
But, Cory would prefer low temp and Discus would prefer high temp.

mikeos
05-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Most of the corries do well in discus tanks, for me at least. Not had ANY problems with temp or any other environmental paramiter.

Only one caveat... dont keep them if the tank is over 24"deep, they need access to atmospheric air and IME dont do too well if the tank is over 24"

falcon
05-12-2004, 08:09 PM
I keep quite a few cory cats with my discus and other fish. But then again, this is a planted community tank. Cory cats like hiding spaces too.

My tank is 26" deep, well now 24" if you add the gravel.

Depends what your setup is. I wouldn't put them in bare bottom unless they have some hiding places, but then you're defeating the purpose of bare bottom.

aggie_67
05-12-2004, 10:58 PM
My two cory's love to hide between the sponge filter and it's base. Tank is a bare bottom.

Willie
05-12-2004, 11:05 PM
I keep 14 tanks, ranging from 20H to 75's, all barebottom and all with corys. Not all species do well in warm water. The ones that thrive for me include Corydoras sterbai, C. adolfi, C. julii, C. robineae and C. arcuatus. C. panda adults are okay, but the young are susceptible for heat.

Willie

liz
05-13-2004, 05:13 AM
I shut down one of my small tanks and was looking for somewhere to put the three Corys(albino,pepper and bronze)so thought I would try them in the Discus tank(its planted)That was a few months back and they are getting on ok.The higher temp does not seem to bother them.

ramblin101
05-13-2004, 06:46 AM
I have 6 Cories in a tall 70 gallon 26'', bare bottom and they are big, fat and happy. They also gather around the sponge filter when they are not foraging. I have not had any problems with higher temps as well. They are in with 8 discus.

05-13-2004, 10:01 AM
:wave: Hello,

In my experiences, the Cory Pandas do better with substrate as someone mentioned above and also with temps in the 80-82 farenheit degree temps. They're active with such setting. And, hiding spaces, like caverns, they enjoy a lot.

Hope that helps. **Angie**
:sun:

brandy
05-14-2004, 01:05 AM
I keep skunk corys and bronze corys in my bb tanks. They all seem to be doing fine. The skunk corys are currently in a tank that is 89 degrees and are still okay.

kjmillerfw
05-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Another alternative to Cory's...I have several clown loaches in my bare bottom tank. I put a PVC elbow tube in the corner for them to play in but they spend most of the day out in the open or napping on their sides under the sponges. They seem to handle the higher temps just fine and are great for cleaning up left over food. They also get along with the discus just fine.

Kathy

JeffreyRichard
05-19-2004, 02:18 PM
I breed and keep Sterbai with my discus. They do well in the heat ... though they'll only breed in cooler water. these are a good choice ...

BTW, Corys do NOT need substrait to thrive. Mine are spread out in my hatchery ... all tanks have bare bottoms

Jeff

JeffreyRichard
05-19-2004, 02:19 PM
I keep 14 tanks, ranging from 20H to 75's, all barebottom and all with corys. Not all species do well in warm water. The ones that thrive for me include Corydoras sterbai, C. adolfi, C. julii, C. robineae and C. arcuatus. C. panda adults are okay, but the young are susceptible for heat.

Willie

Willie, are you breeding Adolfi? I'm looking for 4-8 adults to create a breeding colony (I currently have 2 ...)

Willie
05-19-2004, 08:31 PM
No such luck. I scored 10 babies and am hoping... :D :D :D

Willie

Northwestcoastdisc
05-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Cory catfish is no problems with Discus. But Cory catfish can die when the ph is very low. Keep ph at 6.0 to high are okay.

But the cory catfish is great comminity with discus.

The tempture is max at 86 sometime 88 would be fine.

I am breeder for exotic cory catfish :D

take care
Duncan

ed8t
05-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Duncan,

What exotic corys do you breed?