PDA

View Full Version : How to get pair to spawn again

kelseygirl
05-14-2004, 10:30 PM
I have a breeding pair of turqoise discus. Have had them for almost 2 years. When I first got them they bred a bunch of times, but had problems like fungus, eating fry, etc. I sold 2 of the 4 I had thinking that the pair would rather be by themselves. But they stopped breeding!!! Since then I had some issues with HITH and high nitrates, but I have that all figured out now and they are very healthy and seemingly happy. But they won't spawn again. I was thinking about getting a couple more, but don't know if that would be a good idea. I have a 55 gal. tank. Any ideas on how to get these two romantically involved again? thanks for any input.

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-15-2004, 06:36 PM
I would try putting them into a smaller tank like a 29 gallon. Also try a slightly higher heat for a week then drop it slowly by doing water changes with cooler water. That works for me most of the times.

-Ryan

kelseygirl
05-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Ryan. I'm new to this forum, but wanted to get in contact with others that have discus, not just tropical tanks. I don't have another tank, but would a tank divider work? I could set it up so they were isolated together at one end. Another question...how long do females lay eggs? I mean, do they keep laying eggs forever, or do they eventually stop? Mine must be almost 4 years old now. I wasn't sure if she wasn't laying because of health issues or she's just getting too old. By the way, I see you are from Clermont. I live in Ocala! (I messed up on my profile and they had me living in Austria! I wish!!! That has been fixed now. :)

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-16-2004, 11:33 AM
You can try a divider but im not how well that would work. at 4 years old, the female might be to old.....
You should deffinitly come and visit or stop by our next Central Florida Discus meeting.

-Ryan