PDA

View Full Version : What thickness of Styrofoam under tank?

Shive
05-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi I just built a tank stand for a 75gl tank, I put some styro down under it but it's 1 13/32 thick! I think it's too thick. But I'm not sure. What does every one here use? Will the styro compres much after the tanks filled? The tank is still empty so nows the time to make any corrections!

Thanks
Shive

Carol_Roberts
05-16-2004, 07:25 PM
I use the 1/2 inch styrofoam board used on the exterior of houses for insulation. Easy to cut with serrated knife ;D

ronrca
05-17-2004, 11:24 AM
I use the same as Carol. Its nothing to do with the thickness of styrofoam rather to allow the tank to 'settle' when filled with water.

Shive
05-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks Carol and Ron, I was using way to thick styro so I changed over and it fits much better now. I built the tank stand and it came out perfect. But I really messed it up when I stained it! It's pretty ugly now :-[! But it still works and its for my 75gl growout tank so no one will see it anyways. It still bums me out a little but live and learn!
Thanks again for all the help!

Shive

ronrca
05-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Did you stain the styrofoam? I dont even bother that painting styrofoam. I paint the tank first, then place the styrofoam. ;)

Carol_Roberts
05-18-2004, 11:23 AM
If you don't like the way the stain turned out you can always paint the stand the color of the tank trim. I use a piece of tan or gray cloth to cover the stryofoam

Shive
05-19-2004, 12:36 AM
I did not stain the styro. I did not need to I used mitered
trim pieces. Here is a picture!

Shive

ronrca
05-19-2004, 10:45 AM
;) Looks good! Now you need some discus! ;D

Skip
04-18-2011, 12:13 AM
I use the 1/2 inch styrofoam board used on the exterior of houses for insulation. Easy to cut with serrated knife ;D

so 1/2" is way to go?

Eddie
04-18-2011, 12:20 AM
If Carol says so, then yes! ;)

Discus-Hans
04-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Now if I tell you 1/2" is okay would that help? lol lol lol

I've under all my tanks 1/2" blue from Lowes,

Hans

Skip
04-18-2011, 12:36 AM
LOL!! yes. thanks hans..

but.. last question.. so if my stand is a frame on edge only. would i need to put a flat surface of plywood over this THEN lay the s.foam over it.? how much does it compress on the edges? if i do have a flat surface and have the foam over it.. does the have issues with the bottom of glass carrying some of the dead load?

i have seen it used before.. and i am about to re arrange some tanks.. so i want to make sure i understand how this works before i but them under my tanks...

sorry for being dense on this topic

Discus-Hans
04-18-2011, 12:54 AM
LOL!! yes. thanks hans..

but.. last question.. so if my stand is a frame on edge only. would i need to put a flat surface of plywood over this THEN lay the s.foam over it.? how much does it compress on the edges? if i do have a flat surface and have the foam over it.. does the have issues with the bottom of glass carrying some of the dead load?

i have seen it used before.. and i am about to re arrange some tanks.. so i want to make sure i understand how this works before i but them under my tanks...

sorry for being dense on this topic

The tank rest for 99% on the sides, back and front, it even makes no sense to put plywood under it. With REAL BIG tanks an extra 2x4 in the middle will help some.

You will see if there is plywood under it, over time (water/wet/etc.) it will go down in the middle while tank still stands great

How much it compress on the edges? If your table is 100% straight, not at all, if it's off it will compress but close to nothing. You just will see an imprint.

When I changed my filter systems and took all tanks out of the racks (off the foam) you could see on some pieces no compress at all, some you saw it at one side (the not 100% straight racks)

Now don't build a table/rack that's 1/2" off and think the foam will compensate that, this DOESN'T WORK. It only compensates small off's

Hans

Skip
04-18-2011, 12:56 AM
AWW. Great answer sir!! :)