PDA

View Full Version : Horemones in spotted fish

kaceyo
05-16-2004, 08:10 PM
The DiscusFarm site says their spotted disus are treated w/horemones.Does this gaurentee they will color up same as treated young in photos when adults?I thought horemone treated fish were to be avoided,yet many have reccomended the Discus farm.As a newbe(or born again discus fan) I just thought I,d ask.Hope I,m entering these questions correctly and in right places.

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Most spotted discus are color enhanced one way or the other. Most are fed a product called CR6 or CR5. This is a type of hormone. Yes hormoned fish are to be avoided, especially someone who is new to the hobby. You would have to email them to see what kind of fish they recommend for you.

-Ryan

kaceyo
05-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Thank you Ryan,sounds like a subject I,ll need to look into.Does this mean,basicly,that I should avoid the leopard strains as being treated fish?Tell me it isnt so.

Jeff
05-16-2004, 08:36 PM
I would not recomend any spotted fish for a beginner. If you must have them then so be it, but it is not what I recomend. I do recomend RT, BD, SW, MPs and several other types.

Yes they are hormoned. I believe it is better to be honest and up front with people. I can get you that same discus without hormones, but what is the point in that? There is no comparison. It would be better to buy another discus IMO. :)

kaceyo
05-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Jeff,I appreciate yur honesty,you may have just saved me alot of dissappointment.While I do have some experience with discus,though its been long since and I dont want to jump back in without catching up.I plan on a planted tank this time(last time I had bare bottom)and want to make sure all is as I expect before buying fish.

Jeff
05-16-2004, 09:33 PM
It's for that reason I tell people what they are. ;)

SteveM
05-17-2004, 12:49 PM
It is nice to see Jeff is up front an honest. Do not give up on your search for spotted fish though. There are some pretty nice RSG's and leopords that are not juiced. They may not show the intense spotting that that the champions do BUT I think they are still great fish.

Jeff
05-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Here is what I buy as unhormoned leopards. I'm told they have no hormones at all. They are just as available as the hormoned leopards.

kaceyo
05-19-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanx Jeff,these are still some beutifull fish,even as is.Someone was telling me about your begginers pack,and that sounds like something I,d like to do. kaceyo

Jeff
05-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Cool. I'll be back from Singapore and Malaysia after the 5th of June.. Lets talk then. :)