PDA

View Full Version : Should I add more filtration?

falcon
05-17-2004, 08:22 AM
I have a 120g, planted discus/community tank. Currently, I am using Eheim 2028Pro canister filter on it. I am debating whether it would be beneficial to add another filter. I have just bought Eheim Ecco Comfort 2236 which I think is rated for 80g. I originally bought it for this purpose, but now I'm not sure if I should install it or not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

falcon

RAWesolowski
05-17-2004, 10:09 AM
The Eheim is a great product but if you add more filtration, then add something less expensive and easier to maintain. Use an Aquaclear sized for your tank with a couple of sponges instead of a sponge and carbon.

Your existing Eheim will carry your bioload, so you can use the Aquaclear to take some of the nasties out of your water and you can keep your sponges very clean with little effort. With the addition of the Aquaclear put a sponge over your Eheim intake. it will reduce the sludge inside the cannister when you clean it.

ChloroPhil
05-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Falcon,

While I usually agree with Bob, if you've got the filter, use it. Canisters are just about perfect for planted tanks.

Best,
Phil

falcon
05-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Bob, I usually use ac on a bb tank and on smaller tanks. I think they are great as they're low maintenance. But, they cause a bit of water agitation and I'm not sure what it would do to my CO2. I don't use carbon in my canisters, just floss and different media. Floss is good at traping small particles and I usually replace it every month or so.

I thought that maybe the second filter will polish the water even more and help with bioload. At cleaning time, I could rotate the filters and clean more than one tray at a time without worrying about disturbing bacteria.

Phil, that's the thing. I saw that some people are using more than one filter in their planted tanks of similar size and I thought that maybe it might be worth to add additional filtration. As you mentioned, canister are really good for planted environment.

Thank you guys for your replies.

Falcon

Don_Lee
05-18-2004, 12:42 AM
I would go with Bob and add an AC or some kind of power filter. Canister filters are a pain IMO. The only advantage to canisters over a power filter is the surface agitatiion is less with the canister, but that can be adjusted w/o much problem with a power filter. If you want to polish the water, add a prefilter sponge and change more water IMO. If you are adding CO2 with a pressurized system, you can always increase the volume.

JMO,

Don ;D

RAWesolowski
05-18-2004, 01:27 AM
Flacon,

I run an thermal Eheim Pro with an AC on one of my planted tanks. I have found that the bioload in the Eheim is tremendous. The addition of the AC actually polished the water. The crypts in the tank extend to the surface and across the surface without CO2. AC doesn't appear to boyther them but agitation is diminished by wood.

falcon
05-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Too late for me. :( I have already placed an order for an eheim filter. I guess I will utilize that. I don't want to spend additional 50 bucks or so on ac filter.

I guess I will still have to decide if there is benefit to installing additional filter in the tank. If I new that it might improve the water quality or might be of some other benefit then I wouldn't hesitate.

Cosmo
06-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Falcon,

Don't distress, you can't go wrong with the eheims. I always run double the rated bio load even though all those that proceeded me are right that the ability of a single eheim to handle bio load is tremendous. The 2028 should be sufficient for your 120, the ecco 2336 is rated for 60 US gal. not 80, but is a good little unit. I have one, and it does the job, but I'd never get another - the handle will start giving you problems over the years unless you're very carefull in your handling of it. I have a pro model as well, but prefer the classic series (2017 etc) because they are so much more flexable in the ability to configure the inlets and outlets.

enjoy

Basilisk
06-13-2004, 03:59 PM
I think your 120G will be just great with those two canisters. Spraybars are much friendlier with plants than those nasty AquaClears' waterfalls. Even the bare end of an output hose can be placed to make a nice flow pattern that won't bother plants. I do have ACs in my planted tank. Wherever I put an AC, its output smothers some plant. Sure ACs are very good filters, easy to clean an so, but no match for a canister--even less for an Eheim.

You might like to sign up to the Eheim Pimp Club in The Planted Tank 8)
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7027