PDA

View Full Version : bully discus

joopa
05-20-2004, 01:39 AM
I have 4 high body brilliant turq discus in a tank together, 1 is a bully. When food goes in it (he/she) chases the others into the corners of tha tank, it's only about the same size as the others (3 1/2 inches) and the others do still get a feed, because when bully bum is chasing 1, 1 of the others will grab a bite. They are about 5 months old and I want to breed them in time. Bully does also chase the others some times even when there is no food involved.

My question is what are my options.

(1) chill out and let them be ?
(2) Move it into another tank with my tefe greens that are the same age but about 4 1/2 inches, for bully to learn some manners?
(3) Sell it as this my be a sign of an over agressive fish
and my not be a good partner?
(4) Other ???

Thank You

Joopa

jimmyjoe
05-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Joopa keep them in QT till they are ready to join the rest of the group. Once he/she is done w/QT placed him in with your Tefe Greens. Discus do better in groups of 6 count'em 6 or more 8 being a good number to start with . 6 Adult discus in a 55 gal. tank is alright figure 10 gals. per adult discus. Probably once you move he/she another will become the bully in that group. If you have enough room after QT put them all together.........Good luck Jim

RyanH
05-21-2004, 01:08 AM
Hey Joopa,

I always had bully problems when I kept smaller groups of Discus as well. They are Cichlids after all. Like Jim said keep a larger group and they will tend to mellow out a bit.

hth!

btw, I moved this topic to the beginner section. You should get more responses there.

joopa
05-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Thank you for your help.

Joopa

phishgroovin
05-24-2004, 10:24 AM
dumb bullies