PDA

View Full Version : Hardness tests

rivwick
05-23-2004, 11:57 PM
I use the water testers from Interpet. For water hardness, the product has two tests, one called temporary hardness and another called permanent hardness. In my understanding, the temporary hardness is the amount of calcium carbonates and the permenent hardness refers to all the contents (magnesium, etc.).

Anyone using the interpet products? Is my understanding correct?

My temporary hardness is a about 4dh and the permanent is 7dh. Which one will affect my discus?

Thanks in advance

Carol_Roberts
05-24-2004, 11:42 PM
I don't use that test kit, but those numbers are fine for raising discus

rivwick
05-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks Carol!

Just to understand a little better, does both carbonate and total hardness affect discus?

In my tank, two PBs have paired and I got a 29g today for them. I plan to put both of them in the new 29g with a sponge filter, bare bottom and a heater and try out spawning.

Will these water conditions suffice for spawning as well?

Carol_Roberts
05-25-2004, 11:21 PM
I think the temporary hardness is KH, also called carbonate hardness or buffer. 4 is good enough to keep the pH stable.

The permanant hardness or GH measures magnesium, calcium, etc. You should be able to get good hatch rates in GH 7

XeBurnout
06-05-2004, 12:23 PM
The terms "temporary" and "permanant" might be confusing. Most people use just the terms hardness and total hardness (also called acid hardness).

Your first test is just is looking for Calcium and Magnesium. Other minerals in various forms (suspended, dissolved) can also contrubute to hardness. By adding acid to your sample these things are also read for a "total hardness".

Your second test should be the same as the first but they have you add some drops, or powder and wait a couple minutes, right?

At such low levels of hardness the Acid Hardness really doesn't matter and the first result should be good enough to see what's going on in your water.

R/

Phil