PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer Discussion

Cosmo
05-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Would appreciate some thoughts and comments from all who'd care to respond regarding the use of UV sterilizers. I've used them for the past couple of years, and like the idea of having something to zap any nasties that might get into the tank, plus, algea? what's algea :)

Anyway, I've tried running mine on timers, and leaving them on 24/7 - haven't noticed any problems from the constant use, but read Bernard Degan's book that he doesn't recommend constant use cause it lowers the fish's natural resistence, which makes sense.

Anyway, would love to hear what others do or think on this issue.

Thanks,
Jim

jrpatter
05-24-2004, 11:13 PM
I have a rack system next to a window. I have a UV that i send about 5% of the water through an hour. I get a small amount of algae on the glass (i need to scrape monthly), but i have yet to get green water. I also havent had any disease outbreaks on the system, but i could just be lucky :)

john

Cosmo
05-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Hey John,

Why just 5% ? Also, you're little saying's a little sick don't ya think lol Just think of the cost per pound!!

Jim

keith_cny
05-27-2004, 12:28 AM
I've been using a UV sterilizer on my water for the last several months. At the end of 2003 I got a water test that showed bacteria in my well water. It wasn't high enough level to bother anyone in our house but it sure didn't do my discus any good. I shocked the well and got the bacteria level down but as a safeguard I run all my water through a UV sterilizer when filling my holding barrel and then again when it goes to the tanks. I do not run the UV on any tank itself. Cary also advised me that doing so would lower their overall resistance. So as long as water is clean going in tanks, all should be good.

Keith