PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your stuff?

etr63
05-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Hi All

Im just getting started and been building up the supplys. How does every one store there equipment? I have things pileing up in the dinning room. Pythons in bags ( to keep stray dog hair off of them ), test kits here and there, ect. Not to organized. Also what do you use to keep the drain and fill hoses, nets, ect. germ free?

Thanks

Earl

Carol_Roberts
05-25-2004, 09:12 PM
I roll my pythons up and store them in plastic garbage cans. I have a cupboard dedicated to fish meds, food, etc.

Shive
05-26-2004, 06:09 AM
I got tis storage unit at the Home Depot on sale for 56.00.

Shive
05-26-2004, 06:11 AM
Here is another pic!

falcon
05-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Shive, I like the storage shed idea. If only I could find space for that. I utilize my tank's stand for food related and nets. Other things go in broom's closet - one shelf dedicated. Keep my hoses in garbage bags, same as Carol.

I guess it would be nice to have a dedicated space. I don't think it's feasible for most homes. Really, each tank should have dedicated equipment stored separate. I guess that's how people contaminate between tanks.

To keep the hoses sanitize/clean, you might run some bleach through and flush them real good once in a while. Haven't done so myself yet. Too busy with kids and other things.

Falcon

Shive
05-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Falcon,
I do use seperate hoses for each tank. I have a realtivley small fish room 1-20gl,1-40gl, and 1-75gl. I went Lowes and bought 21 feetof 3/4" hosing and cut it in 7' lengths and I use that. I store the hoses in buckets. I am concerened about cross contamination but it's hard to totaly eliminate. The fact that I work in my tanks all the time just changing water my hands get wet and it's a possible contamination issue! Even if you use paper towles you can still have problems. But I use regular towels...I have seperate nets and other hardware but it is still hard to eliminate cross contamination. I choose to get my fish from local breeders not importers! That is what I believe is more important, most of the bugs that hit come from over-seas. By buying localy I can get to know the breeder the fish and gain an understanding about how those fish have been raised. Nothing is fool proof but I try to do the best I can. I like the storage unit it works well for me!

Shive

falcon
05-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Shive, I like your system. It looks like you have everything organized and within reach.

I know, nothing is fool proof. There will always be cross contamination. But, I think that you have done more than most people in terms of precautions.

Falcon