PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and CO2 Question

cunniculus
05-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Hello all,

I've been looking at this forum for a little while and finally decided to register. It looks like this will be a great resource for all things discus and I'm excited to have stumbled into it.

So, for my first question: I just bought a 75G tank for the sole purpose of planting it and having discus. I have never kept discus but have been keeping other fish for some time. I've read the debates about BB tanks vs. planted and I want to go planted so I'll buy larger fish.

I've seen some great pictures of planted tanks and it seems like CO2 is the way to go. I would like to buy a CO2 system, for the tank, but don't know anything about them. What I DO know is that a full setup is very expensive. I think it would be better to buy parts. Can someone give me some guidance as to what I should look at (I'm willing to spend some money) and how it all works?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to asking lots more questions!

Damon

Carol_Roberts
05-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Hi Damon and welcome to simplydiscus :wave:
I don't have anything in my tanks but discus, heaters, filters and water, so would point you towards the show tanks and biotopes section.

cunniculus
05-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Thanks, Carol! In the short time I've been around, I see that you are one of the mover and shakers around here. Good to know.

Thanks for the tip. I did check out that section and found some good info. I'm looking for some specific help regarding the injection systems, etc. I've seen a lot of equipment out there and some with heafty price tags. Just need some guidance! ;)

April
05-28-2004, 12:23 AM
hi and welcome. :wave:
my suggestion is get your discus..and have them in a bare bottom tank and learn discus behaviour etc..while setting up your planted tank and learn all the co2 injection stuff etc..make sure its all running smoothly..then get them into the tank later. of course..youd need a second tank. but..always good to have a second tank to rest them or for a hospital tank .
glad you enjoy this site. theres lots of knowledgeable people and lots of experience. also..theres the library section on the webpage. been there?
lots of great articles. www.simplydiscus.com

cunniculus
05-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks, April!

I haven't checked out the articles yet but will now. I think your suggestion is a good one. I would like to be able to swing another tank, but I'm not sure I have the room. I have a tendency to be overzealous and want to jump in head first, but I'm trying to resist the temptation.

Thanks again!

sn8k
05-28-2004, 01:21 AM
If you want to learn all about CO2 injection - then go here

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

Far more information there then I can relay to you. Best of luck ;D

cunniculus
05-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Wow! Just a quick glance made me realize I would have to sit with this site for awhile. Thanks, sn8k!

jared
05-28-2004, 03:51 AM
There is some debate about them, but for larger planted tanks, I swear by UV sterilizers. The simple fact of the matter is that plants and lots of water changes don't mix, but High light, CO2 and low water changes do mix with algae. In addition if you get an outbreak of something in a tank with plants in it you can cross out salt and many other meds as well as high heat, these will fry your plants leaving dead material that will lower water quality. This is something you can't afford if you don't have room for a BB hospital tank. A sterilizer will keep algae and pathogens down giving you the freedom to lower water changes a little in order to accomodate plants without compromising the water quality in a way that lends itself to disease.JMO
Jared

cunniculus
05-28-2004, 12:22 PM
That's an interesting point you make Jared. I had always thought that the utility of a UV on freshwater was wasted. You make an interesting argument, however.

I would think with how frequently everyone seems to change the water, that the frequency of water changes is actually beneficial to planted aquariums.

What do other people think?

falcon
05-28-2004, 01:39 PM
You can still use high heat and salt in planted tank. I have used salt and went up to 87F. Didn't affect plants much if at all - went for about a week at a time.

I have a 120g, planted community tank with discus and I change about 50-55%/week. Most people with planted tanks do either a big change once a week or 10% everyday. I am in the process of installing a second canister filter on it - not sure if it will help, but won't hurt either.

I think it might be a bit cheaper to buy co2 pieces here and there. This way, you're not going with one brand, like aquamedic, and end up paying through the roof. You can buy a new/used tank at welding supply or wine supply store. Same with the 2 gauge regulator. You can pick up a milwauke controller for about 90USD. I picked up jbl dual guage regulator that came with a buble counter. The whole thing should be around 350USD (regulator,reactor,co2 tank, controller, solenoid valve). Make sure you use co2 approved tubing and not airline tubing as you will lose a lot of co2.

I hope this helps a bit.

Falcon
Falcon

cunniculus
05-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the input, Falcon. I've been looking at CO2 equipment from various sources like you said. I'm trying to keep the cost down, but it looks like your estimate is about right.

What is the best CO2/pH controller? How do you like your Milwaukee? I was also looking at the Pinpoint, but it's pricey and looks like it's a lot of work.

I think I understand all the parts I need, but I'm not sure how to set it up and why you need a bubble counter if you have a solenoid and pH controller. So much to learn..... :-\

falcon
05-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Milwaukee is ok, the accuracy on it is within 0.2pH and it usually allows the pH to climb by that before it turns the CO2 on. Other than that, it works fine. It seems that my probe is off a bit. Will try and re-calibrate it again this weekend.

Pinpoint is one of the better ones. If I wanted to spend more, that's what I would by. It's better period, and more accurate as well.

Bubble counter, I guess you don't really need it. What it does for me, it lets me know at what rate I am injecting the co2. IMO, you don't want to open the co2 wide open and adjust the level within a minute. My flow is more like 75 bubbles/min. This way, the pH is adjusted slowly. It usually takes around 15min. or more to adjust the co2 by 0.2pH.

Have any questions about setup drop me a private e-mail and I'll be glad to help you. The reactor is the most confusing and I think the best way to set it up is on the outlet of your filter.

Falcon