PDA

View Full Version : Need held to find an honest breeder "One who's not only doing if for the Cash

Benis
05-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

I used to have Discus a few years ago and was in Love about them. The bad experience I had, was when I purchased 6 Discus from a well known breeder. The fish grew but their color kept fading away as time when by. I was so upset and I felt betrayed, because this person even wrote several books!!!!!!! :-X

I"m trying to get back into it again. I have a 125 gallon, and I have my w/d running for two weeks now. I know it's always nice to lok @ web pics and see how beautiful fish look and once you get them it's something else.

I was burned once and I did not want to get burn again. They say that you must do your research and asked a lot of questions and I am now also.
I live in Chicago " Windy City", not too many Discus breeders, always over priced and the fish they carry @ the pet shops very bad. :-[

I would like to know if anyone knos of a very good and honest breeder that I can purchased my new fish from? How many should I really start it with? I'm always open to advise, because I belive some of us are honest.

Would someone be bale to help?

Benis
05-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

I used to have Discus a few years ago and was in Love about them. The bad experience I had, was when I purchased 6 Discus from a well known breeder. The fish grew but their color kept fading away as time when by. I was so upset and I felt betrayed, because this person even wrote several books!!!!!!! :-X

I"m trying to get back into it again. I have a 125 gallon, and I have my w/d running for two weeks now. I know it's always nice to lok @ web pics and see how beautiful fish look and once you get them it's something else.

I was burned once and I did not want to get burn again. They say that you must do your research and asked a lot of questions and I am now also.
I live in Chicago " Windy City", not too many Discus breeders, always over priced and the fish they carry @ the pet shops very bad. :-[

I would like to know if anyone knos of a very good and honest breeder that I can purchased my new fish from? How many should I really start it with? I'm always open to advise, because I belive some of us are honest.

Would someone be bale to help?

April
05-27-2004, 11:53 PM
click on some of the banners on this forum. their all good .
my favourites..that i got great fish from..and no hormones or fading are..
www.greatlakesdiscus.com (michigan) closest to you
www.superiordiscus.com (canada but ships there) cad funds.
www.discusfantasy.com (texas)
cant go wrong. their all conscientious good guys with high standards and very nice fish.
Call any of these guys. their best to talk to on the phone..and then you can see that their great guys.
good luck and let us know.
another good guy is brewmaster .(the admin of this site) he breeds his own fish..hes in connecticut.
going to see their fishrooms would be the best of all. cary at greatlakes or..brew in connecticut. you would be amazed and youd get all the help and suggestions youd need. they all have alot of experience.

Benis
05-28-2004, 12:00 AM
April,
Thank you :), for the advise about the breeders. I have contacted Cary so far via e-mail and it's kind of hard getting in touch with him. I was told that he was expecting an new born anytime. How many Discus do you think I can keep in a 125 gallon? ???

April
05-28-2004, 12:26 AM
8)hi you oould start with about 16. his baby was born..and he may be easier to find now. he was also setting up his new hatchery at the same time. so..call again. tell him his mother said to call you. he will treat you like gold. of course he would anyhow even if you didnt say his mother sent you. ;D

hexed
05-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Benis,
You can also try Nades at www.discusdance.com. I got half of my discus from her. She ships them excellently and when you open the box the discus are alert with fins high. She lives in Ackron (sp) Ohio. She usually has great auctions on aquabid.com. Give her an email at Mac4Hill@aol.com Be sure to put you want to possibly purchase discus in the subject this way you get her attention and her children won't delete the email ;D
If you want to see pics of some of them go to breeding discus and then click onto "breeding in a 55 gallon tank" it's on page 3 of the breeding thread. Again she has great prices.

Benis
05-28-2004, 01:20 AM
Thanks to you all.

April if I evr get a chance to talk to him on the phone, I will mention it. ;)
Hexed, I will that site a try and see what they have ::)

Would it be a good thing fro me to keep using the w/d filter? Because of the amounr of time I spend @ work, my water chamges used to be only three times a week. From what I read from others, it seems like most are doing daily w.c or using some type of barrels to store water.

I live in Chicago and the PH is high and I wonder if getting some frys like 2" or 2"5 would be doing okay ???

Once again, I do appreciate the feed back from the bottom of my heart ::)

April
05-28-2004, 10:48 AM
i would go 2.5 inch if you can and whats your hardness? ph is fine if you keep it all stable. with high..it is best to store and agitate to make sure the water you add is the same ph as the water in your tank. small discus especially are not happy with ph swings. at least your ph should stay stable in your tanks..you must have some hardness to your water which is good for growth.
the more wcs you can do the better growth you will get.

daveycrockett
05-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Try butch. He is in chicago. I hear he has good fish. Some one else might know how to contact him. Search the sight and look for breeders with alot of compliments. Good luck! If you havent been to a hatchery yet go pick out your fish. It is informative and alot of fun!

RandalB
05-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Benis,

Welcome to Simply! Always good to see another Chi-town discus nut.

Chicago tap water is fine for raising discus no matter what the size. You won't get successful spawning in it, but the fish will all be fine growing up with it. I have over 35 discus and they are all (except the breeders) are in Chicago tap. I go right from the faucet with a squirt of dechlor.

I also second contacting Butch for fish. All around good guy. Knows his fish, High Quality stock, loves to talk and great prices. What more do you need? He lives on the north side near Harlem and North. Try Chewal6@aol.com and let me know if he doesn't get back to you so I can kick him in his can.

If you don't want to go local, Cary Strong is the man hands down.

RandalB

Benis
05-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Hello Randal,

I'm glad to know there's someone else from the "Windy City" around ;D
I have never heard from him @ all with all the years I was trying to find out about local breeders in the Chi! I went on his site and I did not get to see much. Since I'm been looking @ Simply D. site, I keep seeing Cary's name pop up a whole lot. I spoke to a great guy name Roy from Sing and he spoke good about Cary also.

Have you ever purchased anything from butch? Like they everyone seems to say on this site, do not be afraid to ask a lot of questions.

I hope to hear from you soon...fello......Chi...towner 8)

CHEWAL
05-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Benis

I get the feeling that you are on the north or northwest side of Chicago In your post you said that you went to my website???
You have mail

Butch in Chicago ;D ;D ;D

Benis
05-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Butch,

I do live on the Northside of Chicago "East Rogers Park". I went on the site and I did not see much ??? I hope that you can send me some picks if you can.

Hope to hear from you soon ::)