PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Starting with 1" to 1"5 frys in a 125 gal?

Benis
05-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Hello,
Would anyone be able to give me some advice on the do’s and don’ts staring with 1” to 1”5 inch discus fry? Right now I have a 125 gal set up for almost three weeks. I have a wet and dry filter running a uv sterilizer not yet set up for once I get some fish and they are acclimated over a two moth’s period. My tank is bare and I’ll be doing straight tap w/c because of the city I live in “Chicago. I have read and found many mixed suggestions on starting with fry @ 1” inch. Please help me out, I’m trying to get back in the hobby and I wanted to see the fry grow and develop their color while I’m nature them.

Any suggestions I will welcome with open arms. My kids are exited and they want to help alone also :-\.

Thanks a Million ;D.

Dave C
05-31-2004, 08:58 AM
I don't recommend it. I have been buying small Discus & growing them out for awhile now. The worst growth rate & health has happened when I put about 200 into my 180g tank. I don't know why that is but they didn't do nearly as well as when I broke them into smaller groups in smaller tanks. I find the best setup is groups of 30-40 in 30g tanks when they're under 1", 55g tanks up to 3" and then into larger tanks after that, or smaller groups of fish.

Benis
05-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Dave,
How come they would not do well in a 125 with all the space available? I'm thinking if you have a large numer in a smaller tank, would it not affect their growth? I'm thinking, they get move to a smaller tank, then to a bigger one probably would stress them out.

I guess I was thinking, well they will get the w/c and all the space they could have in a group of 12 or 15 it would be fine @ 1"5 inches. I thank you, for your suggestins and I will have to change my plans now. I had the 125 set up for a while and have a 55 empty. I'll have to go and by some sponges nad get it rolling.

Thanks a Million ;)

Dave C
05-31-2004, 02:59 PM
My guess is that in such a big tank they either don't find the food or they have to expend more energy to get to it. That doesn't make much sense but I've heard from many Discus keepers that you are better off to match the size of the tank to the population. Don't change your plans on the basis of my opinion, wait/ask for more opinions.

Lauren
05-31-2004, 03:22 PM
I had once heard a theory that discus might have some sort of hormone or something that the largest ones put out that may slow the growth of the others. If split into groups you could have 1-3 larger ones per tank, as opposed to 1-2 per 1 tank inhibiting growth on all the others (sort of like a step ladder, everyone below gets inhibited more & more quite possible?) so the average growth in smaller groups would be much larger.

Also the find food small space to big space is a good bet too.

Jason
05-31-2004, 03:38 PM
I raise fry in 180's all the time, I get better growth rates, If it was possible I would use 100gal+ tanks as breeding tanks.

just put an egg-crate divider and section 1/4 of the tank off for them, to pack them in so they school and feed better in a tight group, you can then move the divider along the lengh of the tank as needed to give them more space.
You will still need to do w/c's though!

Willie
05-31-2004, 03:53 PM
Agree with Jason. Small discus are just not happy unless they stay together. You can use the 125, but use a divider to keep them together.

Willie

Lauren
05-31-2004, 04:04 PM
I'd just love to have a tank 75gal or bigger.. So far, I'm stuck with mostly 20s & 29s.. lol

Someday!

Benis
05-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Hello Everybody,

I tank you all so much first for taking the time to read my post and to give your suggestions :D. I have to say this is a great place to be ;D
Should I go on on purchasing the 15 1" to 1"5 fry for the tank? Where can I get an egg crate from ???

You all made my day and I do not feel so small anymore fater setting up my 125 and having it run until I get my fish. Any suggestion on a good a very good breeders out there that? Since this 125 is my show tank, what color combination would make it nice?

Thanks a Million again from my heart ;) ;D ;) ;D :) ::)

Lauren
05-31-2004, 05:21 PM
egg crate can be found at like home depot/lowes, you'll find it in the lighting section with the large light covers panel things

Example:
http://www.plaskolite.com/lighting-panels.htm 2nd one top row of the images "Egg Crate White"

They come quite big and you can cut them to size, I personally have started using solid light panels for covers to tanks.. Works good if you can snap them in an almost straight line.

Benis
05-31-2004, 05:43 PM
Lauren,
Thanks for the information. I'm going to try going to home depot tomorrow to check it out. Do you think my fishes would do okay in that 125 once I get them and do all the w/c???

Thanks a Million ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JasonBR
05-31-2004, 09:24 PM
Benis,

Water changes, and FREQUENT feedings are the key at that size (1"-1.5"), to properly grow them out nice and healthy...Since you live in Chicago, I would take a day out from your schedule and drive to Cary's place(4 hours from Chicago)...Just buy them all at once from him, in my opinion you will have better results...Last time I was at his place, he was raising smaller Discus just on tap water alone...He also had a few different color varieties/strains available at that size...Be patient until you can get a hold of him...His Discus actually grow in size!!!!...I am hoping to make another trip to visit Cary real soon...Take care.

Jason

Benis
05-31-2004, 09:34 PM
Hello Jason,
Cary, finally replied to me the other day and said that I should contact him in about 4 weeks. I do not drive @ the moment, so it would be impossible for me to get there. I'm like a kid now :o awating the time to get my fishes. My plan is to get @ least 12 to 15 and hopefully from the same breeder. When are you going to make your trip over there ???

Well Jason, I hope that it will be very soon so you can give me the 411 ;)

Thanks a Million ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

RandalB
06-01-2004, 12:54 AM
Benis,
Can't help you with the babies, but I can sure help you out if you need any equipment for setting up that 125. I can get you whatever you might need at wholesale (including the tank if you don't have it already!)Heaters, Filters, lights, etc, you name it. I'll also be happy to give you a couple of lbs of Hikari frozen food to get you started when you get the babies. We need more newbies in Chi-Town.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything.

RandalB

Benis
06-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Hey Randal,
Thanks, I already have the tank :) It's been running for like three weeks almost bare and waiting for the little fishes. I have a wet and dry running and a u/v set aside to run maybe later down the line. I used to have Discus a few years back and got burned so bad by a breeder that I got depressed. Man, I spent so much on buying the fish only and everything else for the tank. He is a well known breeder and his nale will always remain on my mind :-X The fish were so colorful when I got them. My kids were jumping and I was jumping higher ;D Then the moths went by and the colors started fading away.

Now that I'm trying to get back in, I want to find out more about Discus. Thanks to you and the other great people on this forum , I'm learning so much that I never thought about. ;D

I will keep you in mind, because Chi is not well known for Discus IMO :-\
Can you name a few good breeder that you can honestly tust ???

Thanks for taking the time to help out Bro :) :) :) :) :)

RandalB
06-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Benis,
Only a couple of guys here in Chi-Town I'd recommend, IM me for details.

It ain't the discus center of the world around here unfortunately.

RandalB

alex_m
06-01-2004, 04:06 AM
Hello,

the bigger the tank the better.

Also make sure you get the ones that grow fastest from the spawn.

good luck

alex

Benis
06-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Hey Alex,
Have you ever experienced kkeping small disc in a very large tank? Any suggestions on how I can follow what you suggested, since I would not be making the trip and just doing it on line?

Thank ;D ;D ;D ;D

KD
06-01-2004, 09:03 PM
I'd Say go with Cary Go with Cary go with Cary!!!
I just restarted a 90 Gallon Discus tank in April -Ask him his opinion-Maybe start with some fish a little bigger and than go for another order after that. I am totally pleased, you should check out my babies in other posts in the photo gallery. I've only had them about 2 months and they have grown and came shipped to me super healthy!!
He is a wealth of info and so is this board on raising Discus.
Karen

Benis
06-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Hello KD,
Thank you, for the information ;D In your opininion if you do not mind me asking, how do you think the 15 1" to 1"5 would do in a 125 ???

Thanks

Anonapersona
06-02-2004, 12:17 AM
If the water level was low in the tank, they might not feel so lost. I guess you'd still want to block off one end however.

KD
06-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Benis,
I would talk to Cary and see what he thinks.
Your welcome!
Karen

Benis
06-03-2004, 12:14 AM
KD,
Since I have never picked up the phone to tlak to Cary and alway e-mailing him like :crazy:, I appreciate you taking the time to call and asked him. I never had the courage to pick the phone and call him, because I wanted to take my time to find out about the most well known breeders out there :gossip:

I appreciate it with all my :heart1:

jared
06-03-2004, 02:15 AM
15 adult fish would almost fit in a 125. Keep that in mind. 15 fish at the size you have mentioned would easily fit in a 60. If you have a smaller tank in this range I would start them out in that. That way, if anything goes wrong and you need to treat the batch, w/c and meds will not run you into the poor house. It takes a lot of medicine to dose a 125 despite the fact that 15 1" fish will not be occupying much of the room in a tank that size. As the fish and your skill level grow move them up to the 125. My first growouts were in this size range and I purchased 16. They managed to maintain good health and growth rates in a 60 gallon tank without territory problems until they were almost 4" (4 months later). When they are full size you will have a decent fry tank or even breeder ready to go.JMO
Jared

Benis
06-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Jared,
Thanks for the update ;D I only have my 125 set up, beside that I have a 55 with no sort of filtration @ all. I do not have place to set up the 55. I got some suggestions form some of the other members to use an egg crate as a divider in the 125. Since that is my show tank and the only one set up in a good place, I have no other options.

What do you think ??? I would love to hear any more suggetions from you.