PDA

View Full Version : Buying small 2" discuss

realbetta
05-31-2004, 02:28 AM
Hi all;

I am planing to buy some 2" discuss and don't know if it is wise, I am worry that quality of small discuss will change, I read some where at 2" I should buy 8 and only select 4 after few months.
Could someone (Carol) advise.
Thanks

05-31-2004, 09:27 AM
Depending on how experience you are with small discus and your capital. I always tell first time client to buy a few larger discus to start with. 4" or bigger. You may pay twice as much as the 2". But the sick and death rate has dropped to almost zero if you get them from a healthy stock. They are a lot more forgiving than the smaller discus. If you are successful in keeping them for a couple of months. Then you you can learn the skill of raising small discus. If you calculate the cost of buying and raising the small discus to 4". You don't have to buy so many to start with. The end result is probably more economical and more enjoyable.JMHO
Jimmy.

jules
05-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Jimmy has a very good point.

realbetta
05-31-2004, 10:18 AM
Jim, thanks.

One more question.
I am keeping 8 discuss 4" in 55 gal tank. I know it is crowded and there is one or two does not grow as fast, should I get rid of two small ones?

Carol_Roberts
05-31-2004, 10:58 AM
I second Jimmy's advice and yes, you can get rid of discus that fail to grow.

05-31-2004, 11:16 AM
8 4" in a 55 is not crowded with my standard. I'm keeping 5 times more in the same size of tank. Number of fish doesn't matter. The more crowded the better. The key element is able to keep the parameters stable. It's depending on the filtering system and W/C routine. If your fish come to you and bag for food. Don't try to change a single thing. Record all the routine and parameters and esp. type of food and the frequency. Unlike human, fish don't mind eating the same kind of food everyday and every meal. As long as they have a full bellies and never refuse food. No meds. and no extra addition in order to keep healthy and vibrant discus based on your own local water parameter and food available in your area. The best technique of others may be a death sentence to your fish if you are too innovative. I'm a boring fish keepers. Once I've found working for me. I always keep the same routine and try not to change a single thing. I'm not too smart to inventing new things like others. Whatever I've tried. I've killed many discus. The lucky part is that I have plenty of spare discus to kill.
Jimmy.

realbetta
05-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Could you take a look at this and give me some advise, they are what I am talking about. I keep 8 discuss for 6 months now from 3", no death yet. So I want to challenge myself to next level. Actually I don't want to start with 2", but there is no choice with this strain. Need your help, please tell me what you think. Any of you can give me better deal? ;D ;D

http://www.somethingsphishy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=107

05-31-2004, 12:32 PM
If the red Ruby is what you're looking for. They are good to have in a tank. There are basically 2 types of Red Cover/Ruby. Pigeon base or yellow base. The yellow base are more expensive and harder to fine in N. America. Most locally bred are pigeon base with black dust on forhead and very black fins. As long as the importer has done a good job in quarantine for at least 6 weeks. They should be just fine. Most foreign imports need special medication to help adjusting our water and temp. I'm not familiar with other importers or breeders. I rather stick with the one everybody knows and advertize at Simplydiscus. They can't hide and they can't cheat. Only honest dealers can survive with the strict scrutiny of Simply's memebers. You may pay a few cents more but it worth it.
Jimmy.