PDA

View Full Version : Converting Tank

knewby
05-31-2004, 11:39 PM
Hey, I'm converting my barebottom tank with four midsize discus into a planted tank. This means that I need to put gravel in it also. Can I leave them in there while I do this? I don't have a holding tank big enough for these four to fit in at one time? What should I do?

RyanH
05-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Put them in one or two five gallon pails with an airstone and a heater.

knewby
05-31-2004, 11:53 PM
How long should I do this??

RyanH
06-01-2004, 12:06 AM
I would leave them in the pails obviously for the duration of time that it takes to convert your tank over. Then overnight while the water in the tank has time to age and warm up. So 24 hours or so.

RyanH
06-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Also, if you are using sponge filters then put those in the pails with the fish. You can then drop them back into the tank once your finished. Then you don't have to worry about cycling a new filter.

knewby
06-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Will this stress my fish to the point of death? These are very expensive fish!!! I hope this works! I still wish I could fill it with them still in there, but I'm not so experienced in these things.

RyanH
06-01-2004, 12:18 AM
I understand your concern. I moved a couple of months ago and due to matters beyond my control, most of my fish sat in 5 gallon buckets for 2 1/2 days. I didn't have any problems whatsoever. Once I got the tanks set up and aged I dumped them in and within a couple of hours they were eating and acting as though nothing had happened. Discus are much more resilient than people realize. If they are healthy to begin with you should have no problems at all.

Howie_W
06-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Will this stress my fish to the point of death? These are very expensive fish!!! I hope this works! I still wish I could fill it with them still in there, but I'm not so experienced in these things.

You definitely don't want to have your fish in the tank during this period...Ryan suggestion is best option if you don't have another tank to use.

Keep in mind, that the ideal situation is to be able to take your time in setting up a new planted tank before putting any fish in...making sure the tank is all settled with new plants, substrate, etc...and that the parameters have all stabilized.

Howie

Carol_Roberts
06-01-2004, 06:23 PM
If you are truly worried about your expensive discus your best bet is to leave the discus in their bare bottom tank until they are fully grown or at least until you have the planted tank fully established . . . . several weeks or months from now. . . . .