PDA

View Full Version : Camera experts please...

jeep
06-01-2004, 07:50 PM
I'm looking at buying a Nikon 5700. Does anyone know if there would be a huge benefit to spending a couple hundred more $$ and getting a low-end digital SLR?

I like the 5700 because of the ability to add lenses, although limited in selection. Of course the SLR's are more versatile with the lenses, but I do have a nice regular Canon SLR with a variety of lenses.

???

xen
06-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Heya Jeep,

I don't know the 5700 specifically, but if the price difference isn't too great, I'd probably look at a low-end SLR.

As you say, your lens options are almost limitless with an SLR. And you'll even be able to use all your old SLR lenses with it :-)

Go on.. you know you want to ;D

Cheers!
John

Ramon Anastacio
06-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Jeep,
I owned a Nikon Coolpix 4300, then I decided to get the Canon EOS 300D/Digital Rebel. I'm not a camera expert but I thought the quality of my photos improved markedly, primarily because I was able to use a good lens with it (Canon 24-70/2.8L). It is the current low end Digi SLR from Canon and I think it's worth the investment.

I have pictures here from when I first got it.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=15058

Ramon

xen
06-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Heya Jeep,

This might be some more DRebel motivation for you ;D

Check out this: http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.html. It was on http://www.slashdot.org/ today.

Apparently some Russian hacker has altered the D10 firmware so you can apply it to your 300D. This definitely voids your warranty, but apparently it works. It will add a lot of the D10s functions to your 300D without you having to pay US$500 for them.

Man I love the internet ;D

Cheers!
John

jeep
06-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys.

Ramon, those are some very nice photo's.

I think I have to go back to camera school to figure this digital stuff out, LOL...

brewmaster15
06-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Brian,

I like my Nikon 4500 for fish pics and quick family shots. At this point I Use my Non-digital SLR and its batttery of lens for wildlife photos. If you can afford to get an all in one Digital SLR ...its probably worth it...just be sure that the quality is there.. Sometimes its better to have 2 specialized tools than one all in one tool.

hth,
al

jeep
06-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I decided to go for the 5700, with the $150 rebate and all. It fits my budget a little more these days.

The rest can go towards more discus ;)

xen
06-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Sometimes its better to have 2 specialized tools than one all in one tool.

That's really great advice, Al. I'm so sick of seeing friends buy mobile phones with cameras for A$700 odd. They take dreadful photos. If they just bought a functional phone for A$100 they can buy a pretty decent digital camera for A$600...

Cheers!
John

henryD
06-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Brian,

I have the 5700. Love it. Had it for about 2 years now and it has enough features for me. I also own a manual SLR when I want to do the nature photos. I don't think the low end digital SLR can compare to non digital ones at this point.

Henry