PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a second hand canister filter and tank

Mattzilla
06-06-2004, 10:14 PM
hi, i have a couple of second hand canister filters and tanks that i want to clean up and use them. the canister filters have bio balls, matrix and wool. i'll replace the wool but do i need to clean/steralise the other filter media and canisters them selves?

i have heard of people using bleach and water (mostly water) to clean old tanks and equipment. is this the best method?

how strong should the bleach water solution be? do i need to air dry everything once washed??

thanks for your help guys

matt

Carol_Roberts
06-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Boil the things that can be boiled and bleach the things that can't. rinse thoroughly and let air dry

Mattzilla
06-06-2004, 10:46 PM
THANKS CAROL
is it ok/necessary to clean the filter media...you know the matrix and bio balls??

thanks again

Carol_Roberts
06-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Yes. Experiment to see if the plastic bio balls can withstand boiling

Mattzilla
06-06-2004, 10:55 PM
will do thanks

Jean
06-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi!

U should not use straight bleach. Use 1:10 solution: 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Soak it 20 min and rinse.
Either let air dry completely or put it in some water with dechor in it.
I never boil my stuff; I just fill the tank to the brim with this water and put the top and all the works in.

Foam sponges should be microwaved when moist. Do not put them in the bleach solution.

Jean ;D 8)

Mattzilla
06-06-2004, 11:44 PM
thanks for the tips

Mattzilla
06-07-2004, 01:18 AM
i microwaved my moist sponges for 1 minute on high...is that enough???

brewmaster15
06-07-2004, 01:31 AM
HI Matt,
One caution on the bleaching... In some cannister filters..like magnums...Theres a couple of foam rubber gasket...they turn to a sticky pile of mush if you bleach too long...Jeans conc is spot on for the bleach... I usually just take the whole filter and hook it up to a tank...add the bleach and run the filter... then change the water ...run again.. and let air dry.

hth,
al

Mattzilla
06-07-2004, 01:42 AM
the canister filters were very old so i have pulled them apart completely and cleaned very thoroughly before soaking in bleach and water 1:10 for around twenty minutes. the filters are ehiem filters...is there anything in them that i should be worried about damaging?

is one minute on high enough when microwaving sponges???

thanks for the help

Rod
06-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Hi Matt,

Microwave the moist sponges until the water in them boils, they will be sterile.

Carol_Roberts
06-07-2004, 11:12 AM
I do three minutes

Cosmo
06-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Matt,

Replace the bio balls with Eheim sphintered glass efhisubstrat Pro (more surface area). Eheim recommends efhimech (ceramic cylinders) to trap large debrie on a lower layer with a course sponge in between. Fine media, like efhisynth on the top of the substrat to trap the fine particles. Eheim motors are sealed so no need to worry about the chems damaging that - make sure the gasket is good - lube it with silicone before you use to make sure.

If it's the old classic style, careful with the clips - they slip out of the pins easy and the pins can be hard to find! If they're the ecco style with the handle, be gentle with the handle, they can break easy and make your life miserable
Jim

Jim

Mattzilla
06-08-2004, 12:39 AM
thanks jim

Jean
06-14-2004, 12:15 AM
I'm with Carol Matz... I do them for 3 min roughly.
Thanks Al with the rubber gaskets... very important!

Jean ;D 8)