PDA

View Full Version : How often should I clean my two sponge filters?

phishgroovin
06-08-2004, 12:20 AM
I know its a good rinse in tank water but how often should I do it? every couple weeks? every week?

Carol_Roberts
06-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Depends on fish load and food. If they are really dirty when you squeeze them out then clean them more often. You'll get a feel for it :P

06-08-2004, 09:30 AM
In addition, clean one sponge at a time not both to keep some nitrobactors (good bacteria) in the filter.
Jimmy

Jean
06-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Hey Chris!

The answer on that one runs the gamut!
Some do theirs daily, others every couple months and everything inbetween. Most have nothing to do with fish load I have found in delving deeper. I think it is what is 'right' in the eyes of the fish keeper.
I started out with daily then I went to a couple times a week. Now I do it on an 'as needed' basis-some tanks I do more often than others.
IMO daily is excessive. I'd start out with every couple days to begin with, and like Carol said you will get a feel for what is needed for you and your fish.

Jean ;D 8)

Anonapersona
06-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Let the water be your guide.

If the tank looks dirty or cloudy, then you probably need to squeeeze the filters.

I went a full week, and that was too long for the 20 gallon with 23 1"+ babies in it, feeding 6+x/day. I gave the first sponge a good squeeze one day, then the other the next. The tank is clear again, not hazy.