PDA

View Full Version : seeking input on pairing

lauris
06-09-2004, 12:48 PM
I have a pretty nice tangerine pigeon female and male blue diamond pair that I am thinking of switching out. I was surprised when they paired actually, in that the bd was (and is) quite young, probably around ten months currently. I don't think he is old enough, they have laid a few batches but the eggs fuzz up right away as if they haven't been fertilized. In any case, I have what I am pretty sure are two other adult males, a nice wild (red spotted green basically) and a blue fine line snakeskin. What could I expect as far as fry color/type with each? The mother is a very clean, almost solid tangerine that I am assuming is pigeon based. Thanks in advance for any input.

Carol_Roberts
06-09-2004, 07:31 PM
You will get lots of pepper with either the RSG or the SS. OF the two use the SS is your best choice - cull heavily peppered fry.

jaydoc
06-09-2004, 09:49 PM
carol, will the blue diamond x pigeon blood have a lot of pepper?

What, in your experience, can be crossed with a clean pigeon and not get alot of pepper? Obviously, another clean pigeon blood? Golden? Snow white? Others?

Carol_Roberts
06-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Blue diamond may make a blue panda. Goldens are best. Basically you want to use other fish that do not have the vertical stress bars.

06-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Crossing pigoen blood with a barless brown base fish may result a 30% chance of a non-peppered fish with the color of a pigeon blood. The choice is either a blue ghost or snow white. The problem of crossing these fish are not very popular manly due to the end result is not commercially profitable and may take several generations to perfect. It's an impossible task for a hobbyist who breed in a small scale. Even commercial breeders have to pay big dollars for the F2 or 3 breeders from other bleeder if they manage to talk them into selling and cross them with their own fish. Now the new breed after the Altum discus is the Albinism or albino red/yellow factors with pink eyes resulting from an albino snowwhite SS cross.
Jimmy