PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Discus to US from Canada

Barb Newell
06-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi, I've had a number of people ask if I could ship discus from Canada to the US. Does anyone know what is involved.

Thanks,

Barb

GulfCoastDiscus
06-09-2004, 09:24 PM
I just talked with Jason (Superior Discus) about shipping to the U.S. He said;
1. Get a import permit for a day for 8.00 +
2. Notify fish and wildlife 48 before arrival.

It's probably not that easy.

Dan

Barb Newell
06-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi Dan, thanks for the info. Hmmm... that does sounds too easy!

Barb

dshopper
06-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Hey Barb

Personally I would like to see you shipping across Canada before sending your fish to the states ;D

Yes I know this is selfish for Barb to keep all of her fish in Canada but I can not help myself.

Dwayne

Moon
06-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Barb
It is probably easier to drive to the border and ship from there. It's only an hour from Burlington.
Joe

Barb Newell
06-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Hi Dwayne, I'm glad to hear that you want to keep my fish in Canada. ;D I plan to start shipping in Canada very very soon, within the next couple of weeks.

Hi Joe, thanks for the info. Babies will be ready in a few days, I'll email you and you can stop by. I could drive to Niagara Falls possibly, Rainbow Bridge or Queenston/Lewiston Bridge -- all of my family lives in Niagara. Good excuse to visit ;D I'll look into that.

Barb

Glenn
06-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Barb check the regs if the orders under 1500$ but person in the US will have to get fish and wildlife inspcetion.

Barb Newell
06-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Thanks Glen.

Barb

David N
06-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Okay guys, I've put this off but this is how to import fish into US (from any country)
1. You must notify US Fish and Wildlife at least 48 hours before expected arrival.
2. The fish must be coming into a designated port of entry. (Usually the international airports. US Customs has a list of port of entry airports).
3. If you are bringing in 8 fish or less you don't need a license from US fish and wildlife. If more than 8 or if they start to recognize you, then an import permit is required.
a) the permit costs $50.00 US and takes about 3-4 weeks to receive.
b) you can get the application off the US fish and Wildlife website.
c) wether you have a permit or not there will be a $50.00 fee every time you bring in fish.
d) if you have over $1500.00 in value coming in you will also have to pay a customs fee. At this point customs would treat you as a commercial interest and not just a hobbyist.

NOW, on to what you have to do the day the fish arrive.
1. You have to go to the carrier and get a shipping airbill. You must take this along with your invoice, permit (if you have or need it) and ID. MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU BRING BEFORE YOU BRING IT TO US FISH AND WILDLIFE. THEY WILL NOT MAKE COPIES FOR YOU.
2. Upon bringing this paperwork to US Fish and Wildlife they will review your paperwork, make you fill out form 3-177 and provide you with a release (assuming that an inspection has taken place) that will then let you go back to the carrier to pick up your fish.
3. By the way, if Fish and Wildlife has to inspect your fish after normal hours a believe they charge something like $35.oo per hour for waiting around.

I know this sounds like a lot of work. It is time consuming and you will spend at least 1/2 day at the airport in an attempt to collect your fish. I found most of the people at Customs and Fish and Wildlife to be very helpful, so don't be afraid to get their local phone number and call them up.

I brought 15 fish in from Jason back in March. For me it was worth it, but I wouldn't do this for a small order. The other thing you have to hope for is good airline service. When I bought my fish in, everything went smoothly with customs and fish and wildlife but the airline botched the delivery up. They kept bumping my package and an order that should have gotten to me a ten in the mornign arrived at close to midnight.

I have a lot of respect for the people that import these fish. It takes a level of business committment that most hobbyists just don't have the time for. Also, the fees can add up pretty quickly. Between shipping and license and usage fees a paid over $150. That added $10 to the price of each fish I bought.

Hope this helps,
David N

Barb Newell
06-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Great information! Thanks David.

Barb

Pick
06-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks Dave,

I love seeing people who know what they are talking about contributing to our community. Barb - you've come a long way baby!

TC

Barb Newell
06-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Terry LOL ;D ;D

Barb ;D