PDA

View Full Version : Some advise please

Cosmo
06-10-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm getting ready to setup 3 20gal hi's for my 3 spawning pairs in hopes of getting some little ones and could use some help regarding water filtration and conditioning.

I'm planning to drill bulkhead overflows into each tank using a prefilter to insure no fry get sucked out if they get too close to the surface. At this point, I'm vascillating between setting up one or two drip systems for each of the tanks in addition to the air driven sponge filters.

The for sure drip system I want to setup would simply add new, clean buffered RO slowely into each tank using a small pump hooked up to a timer. I will have a dedicated 65 gal holding tank only, so I can't let it run all day w/o the fear of running out of water.

The alternate setup I was considering was adding a second drip that drained into a large wet/dry and cycled back via a full time small pump. I could then put the heater in the sump, and drill an overflow bulkhead to drain the sump as the other line added brand new water. This seems to me to be the ultimate solution, but I've never done this before so what do I know.

Question on water parameters is, what are the optimal parameters for breeding? Obviously 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 0 ntitrates etc, but what about Ph, conductivity, tds, and temp?

Would really appreciate hearing from all you who breed so I get this right. Actually, I desparetly want to get his right and see the little fry swimming around the tank :)

Thanks
Jim

Carol_Roberts
06-10-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm not in to all the mechanical stuff - I just use 29 gallon tanks with air driven sponge filters. GH between 3 - 6, let the pH fall where it may. TDS between 50 - 100. Temp 82/83

06-10-2004, 01:10 PM
I'm getting ready to setup 3 20gal hi's for my 3 spawning pairs in hopes of getting some little ones and could use some help regarding water filtration and conditioning.

I'm planning to drill bulkhead overflows into each tank using a prefilter to insure no fry get sucked out if they get too close to the surface.( IF THE FLOW IS TOO HIGH. THEY STILL GET STUCK ON THE PREFILTER.)

At this point, I'm vascillating between setting up one or two drip systems for each of the tanks in addition to the air driven sponge filters. (SLOW DRIP IS FINE IF YOU CAN MAINTAIN THE SAME TEMP. AND PARAMETERS OF THE NEW WATER.)

The for sure drip system I want to setup would simply add new, clean buffered RO slowely into each tank using a small pump hooked up to a timer. (NO TIMER IS NEEDED. JUST SLOW DRIP.)

I will have a dedicated 65 gal (MORE THAN ENOUGH)holding tank only, so I can't let it run all day w/o the fear of running out of water.

The alternate setup I was considering was adding a second drip that drained into a large wet/dry and cycled back via a full time small pump. HIGH FLOW WILL KILL FRY. I could then put the heater in the sump, and drill an overflow bulkhead to drain the sump as the other line added brand new water. This seems to me to be the ultimate solution,(NO, UNLESS YOU ARE BREEDING THE SAME TYPE OF FISH WHICH REQUIRE THE SAME PAREMTERS AND TECHNIQUES, THE VAIETIES OF NEW STRAINS OF TODAY'S DISCUS REQUIRE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PARAMETERS AND TECHNIQUES) but I've never done this before (DON'T WORYY, WE'LL TALK YOU THROUGH)so what do I know. (ALL YOU NEED IS WILLING TO LEARN WITH TRIAL AND ERROR METHOD. FIND OUT WHICH IS PERTINENT TO YOUR SETTINGS, AND ADOPT IT. DON'T FOLLOW EVERYTHING BLINDLY)

Question on water parameters is, what are the optimal parameters for breeding? Obviously 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 0 ntitrates etc, but what about Ph, conductivity, tds, and temp?

Would really appreciate hearing from all you who breed so I get this right. Actually, I desparetly want to get his right and see the little fry swimming around the tank

Thanks
Jim

Cosmo
06-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Carol & JimmyL

Thanks for the feedback - will keep you posted, and probably, have more questions.

Jim

aggie_67
06-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Jimmy,

Please explain your comment:

THE VAIETIES OF NEW STRAINS OF TODAY'S DISCUS REQUIRE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PARAMETERS AND TECHNIQUES

One thing I can say about this forum, read it daily and you hear something new every day!!!