PDA

View Full Version : Fin rot problem...

Mart
06-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Here goes my problem: I just noticed that one of my discus might have fin rot or something like that.

I made some research trough simplydiscus website and found the treatment section.
It is written what to do as follow;

1- Remove the cause--improve water, remove attacking fish, adjust pH slowly

2- A lower pH may help (5.0 to 6.0)

3- In mild cases, often times temperatures of 90 F. and salt at 1 to 2 tablespoons/10 gallons are effective

4- Sometimes Acriflavine helps (Untergasser1989)

5- Nitrofurazone sometimes helps (Untergasser1989)

6 -Modern antibiotics sometimes help (depends on the type of bacteria, some bacteria have developed resistance to some antibiotics, this changes as new strains of bacteria develop and new antibiotics become available)

7- Melafix and salt at 5 tablespoons/10 gallons, temperature 90 F. Treat for 10 days.

I might go with direction 7 which is said to use Melafix and salt because I worry about my other discus to get sick too (I care really much about them ::) or should I isolate the sick discus only? ).

So now my question is do I have to make water change each day? 5 tablespoon a day seems so much in a short time (during 10 days as written) if theres no water change... isnt it?^

Thank

~Mart~

Oh and by the way, I have a 50 Gallons tank

kelseygirl
06-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi Mart! I am just now "getting out of the woods" with sick discus because I wasn't caring for them properly. You asked if you have to do daily WC. YES!!!!!! That was the maink part of my problem. Even though I knew they said to do it I thought, oh well, my fish are healthy so I don't have to. Almost lost them. Now I vacuum up all the gunk on the bottom at least once a day and replace that water. Now they are healthy and happy, although some of their fins still look bad and are taking a LONG time to come back. I found out the hard way that this is NOT an option. Good luck.

Dkarc@Aol.com
06-10-2004, 05:11 PM
I would do a recommended dosage of Melafix with your salt treatment you have posted. If possible, do a 50% w/c everyday and replace what you took out (half dosage of both salt and melafix since you took half of your water out). I would leave the temperature where it is.

-Ryan

Carol_Roberts
06-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Try Ryan's treatment above first. Make sure filters are clean and tank is clean.