PDA

View Full Version : DIY Backgrounds

Denny
06-13-2004, 10:51 AM
I was at a local business this week that I was previously unaware of that makes simulated rock patterns out of a urethane product in a 4x8 sheet for nature displays. I talked to him for a while about using them in an aquarium setting like the Back To Nature backgrounds and if they would work and he said they are used in water environments all of the time like in the large aquariums and animal exhibits at zoos. It turns out after looking at them, that they have much more design flexibility and detail than the back to nature ones and I can get them pre primed and ready to paint for much less than the BTN products He can also paint them but the price goes up because he is very much a perfectionist and he ends up with alot of time in them. This guy also does replicated trees and also things like Antlers. He had a reproduction of the world's #8 buck that are made of a urethane and then painted. It looks so real that if he wouldn't have told us, we would have never known the difference.

If there is some interest in these, I could do a group order where I buy enough sheets to do multiple orders and cut them to size and ship to your door. As far as price, It looks like about the 400 dollar price range for a 4x8 sheet.Out of that you could do 4-90 gallon tanks at a cost of around 100 dollars a tank, which is an excellent price for this type of quality.

He is also looking into whether he could do something like a sand or rock looking bottom that could be siliconed to the bottom of the tank to give a substrate look if anyone is interested. personally I think that could be an excellent product for discus tanks.

They look similar to these: http://www.back-to-nature.de/england/rocky.shtml But would be primed so you can paint them to look like any rock you want. I could send them slightly larger than needed and you could trim them to a perfect fit and silicone them in place.

If there is enough interest, I will go take a few pictures of them and get some accurate pricing.

oodi
06-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Hey Denny,

Any idea on how much the price goes up for those of us who are artistically challenged? :-\

Judi
:)

brewmaster15
06-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Denny,
sounds like a great product with lots of applications tto our hobby...

I particularly like this...

He is also looking into whether he could do something like a sand or rock looking bottom that could be siliconed to the bottom of the tank to give a substrate look if anyone is interested. personally I think that could be an excellent product for discus tanks.
.. bare bottom tanks with style... nice.
-al

Denny
06-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Judi

I think it is probably pretty high because he doesn't like to do it. He had a 24 inch or so piece of driftwood in there and he said to reproduce it to the quality he is happy with it would cost about 150 dollars. This seems high to the casual observer, but when you see the detail and realism you understand the time it takes.

However, if there were a particular color that people wanted, I could paint them myself and if I could do enough at once, it wouldn't cost more than 10 bucks a piece for a one color paint job.