PDA

View Full Version : SUMP SIZE[??]. Question ?

Smokey
06-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Members of Simply Discus, your feedback/comments:
Hypothetically speaking =
What would you feel is the approximate size for a "SUMP" ??
%-wise - of the main tank.
25%
50%
75%
100%
or - ??.
Excluding all other factores. [ mechanical, heating, filtration, pump's, etc.]
The sump will be built / and the other components "will " be manufactured / purchased to accomodate!

Smokey

Dave C
06-13-2004, 09:47 PM
In my opinion the sump need only be large enough to contain the return water from the tank(s) if & when the power goes off and to adequately house the pump that returns the water to the tank(s) without risking it running dry. Otherwise the sump itself serves little purpose... it can house heaters, other types of filters and catches the water after it flows through the media. The size of the media bed is more important when relating to tank size.

Smokey
06-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Dave C.
Number 1 to reply:
Thank you. ;)

Smokey

06-14-2004, 10:51 AM
I second Daves'. The area where the water pump is located has to be large according the number of tanks in your system.
Jimmy.

ronrca
06-14-2004, 01:43 PM
I dont really know what is better right now. Imo, if the sump is the same size as the tank, you have double the water volume flowing thru the tank. This doesnt mean more discus per gallon but it should take longer for nitrates to build up and in essence be able to attain lower nitrate levels on a daily wc schedule. Therefore, instead of having a 65G tank with only 65G of water volume, you can double the water volume to 130G. Fully stocked 65G with 8 juv discus around 4-5" (feeding 4-6x/daily), a 50% daily wc may not be enough to keep nitrates under 5ppm. Using a 65G sump, increasing the total volume to 130G, it will take longer for the nitrates to rise to 5ppm therefore 50% daily wc may keep the nitrate level easily under 5ppm.

It is also easy to do a 50% wc without having to drain water from the tank.

???

Rod
06-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Hi Smokey,

The minimum size should be the main consideration, when the pump is stopped the sump should be large enough to easily fit all the excess water that will over flow from the tank/s. Bigger is better as it will allow more water in the system and will allow extra room for all the auxillary equipment. I don't think there is an upper limit, even a swimming pool is ok if you have the room.

tcfish
06-14-2004, 06:07 PM
I myself like a large sump so i can clean the bott om and go on my way without having to replace water can do that later when i do a waterchange also dont have to worry about evaporation.