PDA

View Full Version : "Food for thought ..."

JeffreyRichard
06-14-2004, 10:46 AM
I was reading the post about "San Merah vs Red Cover" and started thinking (... dangerous, I know ...)

It seems folks buy some "really" nice discus, like a Grade A Blue Diamond, a Super San Merah, Grade AAA RSG, etc. They raise them up, get a pair or three, and low and behold get fry ... YEAH!!!

The problem comes when the breeder starts selling the fry ... "Hey, they're Grade AAA xyz discus (because they are from a Grade AAA pair) ... hmmmm ...

As anyone who has breeding knows, discus RARELY produce consistant offspring in terms of quality ... just because your parents are a certain quality does NOT guarentee which, if any of the offspring will have the desired traits.

So ... I think the cogent points are :
As a buyer, don't buy a bunch of fry under 6 month's old expecting a certain trait or look just because the parents have a pedigree If you are looking for a certain fish, such as a "SUPER" San merah, buy an older fish with established physical traits Sellers shouldn't market fry in absolute terms ... the understanding that "the PARENTS are SUPER San Merah" as opposed to "these ARE SUPER San Merah" needs to be clear to the buyer

Rod
06-14-2004, 04:35 PM
I agree with you Jeffrey. It's the breeders responsibility to grade the discus correctly and be honest with the sale of the progeny. Too many times it is about the money the sale produces rather than the quality it seems.