PDA

View Full Version : ignorant LFS worker

United21Soccer
06-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Okay, so i go the my LFS to pick up some supplies, when i told one of the workers that I was going to start a new tank of discus, but first I have to bleach it to get all the nesties out. Then the person says that that would be the worst thing in the world to do, and that i will lose any fish that ever goes in there! After i heard that, i tried to explain about the 10:1 ratio of water to bleach, but they still refuse to think that bleaching can be good. Sheesh!

After hearing from MANY valuable resources that bleaching would be the best route, I don't think that i'll ever be going there again.

Oh, did i mention that i overheard the same worker recommend 3 bala sharks for a ten gal that didnt even have filtration :o :o :o??

Alright, so now i think that i have ranted enough...

DarkDiscus
06-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Hmm. Unfortunately most LFS are the same. Occasionally you will find a very knowledgeable source and there are a very, very few where all of the employees are pretty savvy. Few and far between, though!

John

Nightowl
06-15-2004, 12:19 PM
if we all based our shopping habits on what we heard from one inept employee, would any of us shop anywhere? N.O.

fcdiscus
06-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Very true JT, very true. Then again, this is a coutry based on self- reliance, no? Frank

Nightowl
06-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Hey Frank, how's it going? Well, you know here on L.I., you can find anything "retail" , good or bad.
However, IMO things are based more on alliances than anything else. The core of this country is business, and businesses are built around alliances usually.....forums seem to follow along paths of alliances as well. Just my opinion, of course. J.T.

blaze
06-15-2004, 09:06 PM
do your research before u get to the LFS.... when u get there, try narrowing down the questions to " Where is" , and "What is the cost"...
then again if u go to your LFS as much as I do , you can also answer those questions ;D
but seriously there are a FEW knowledgeable, god bless them...
hey........aren't there some LSF shop ppl on simply ;)

larry dibella
06-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Blaze,
Yes there are some of us LFS ppl here on simply. I am one of them. I have worked there for almost 6 years and I emjoy it a lot. I have several people there also that I can truly rely on them giviing out great info. But since most LFS's hire young people that are not even interested in keeping animals there is a large amount of LFS employees that do not really care about what they do.
larry

Nightowl
06-15-2004, 11:34 PM
I think its tough to generalize. Its no secret, I'm an LFS guy and make my living selling tropical fish. I work with a fellow who is 15 or 16 and tries to learn about the business, but there are some older employees that don't really care ...to them its just a job.
I'm the guy who gets to keep it going smoothly when the owner isn't around ....lucky me!!!(yes I have grey hairs) :P J.T.

Discus_Newbie19
06-17-2004, 07:56 PM
A few days ago I went to a lfs to get some blood worms and there was only one guy working and the place was packed. I ended up helping two older women choose what would go best in their 30 Gallon.
Made me think if it paid better it would be a sweet job. I find age doesnt matter, if the person is actaully intresest in fish (not just working there because they cant get any other job) they are usaully very helpful and know a thing or two.

blaze
06-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Nightowl & larry dibella, could i get couple clones of you guys, and have them shipped to Jamaica, we really need you.

But since most LFS's hire young people that are not even interested in keeping animals there is a large amount of LFS employees that do not really care about what they do.
so true

Made me think if it paid better it would be a sweet job
so damm true

I find age doesnt matter, if the person is actaully intresest in fish (not just working there because they cant get any other job) they are usaully very helpful and know a thing or two.
k true.