PDA

View Full Version : Master Aquariest

06-16-2004, 01:41 PM
What exactly does it mean to be a master aquariest? How does someone really earn that title?

Valik
06-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Well I suppose there is probably two ways you get that title. Either your peers respect what you have done and start calling you that, or you just come to the conclusion yourself that your "good enough" to be a master. Either way it's just a title. At least I don't know of a board or comitee that votes people into that position:) I'm not a "master" yet though so I could just be out of the loop.

Matt

kaceyo
06-16-2004, 04:10 PM
I think you have to buy a box of assorted test kits(all in one box or it don't count)and learn how to use all of them.I myself am planning on becoming a Master Aquarist next payday.Let me know if it worked! Kaceyo

brewmaster15
06-16-2004, 06:20 PM
I got lots of titles and hats in my closet. So For me.. I guess..

Jack of all Trades and master of none is probably the most appropriate title. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

-al

tony1313
06-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Hey Kaceyo good one! ROTFLMAO.............
I think you have to have at least 5 gold, blue or red stars on your profile lol.......

Brew, (Jack of all master of none) I definately fall in that catagory.

Tony

Rick_May
06-17-2004, 11:21 AM
[with angles singing]
The Lady of the Amazon,...
...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, holds aloft Excalibur (the holy test kit) from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that you, will carry Excalibur.
[singing stops]
That is how you become a master Aquariest!

brewmaster15
06-17-2004, 11:42 AM
LOL Rick,

didn't know you were a king Arthur Fan
:)

I wonder how many here are on a quest for the Holy Discus, The grail for the Master Aquariest ;)

-al

JeffreyRichard
06-17-2004, 12:12 PM
[with angles singing]
The Lady of the Amazon,...
...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, holds aloft Excalibur (the holy test kit) from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that you, will carry Excalibur.
[singing stops]
That is how you become a master Aquariest!

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing Test Kits is no basis for acolades ... The Master Aquarist Title can only be derived from a mandate of the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ... You can't expect to hold Master Aquarist Title just because some wet tart lobs pH and Nitrite Tests Kits at you ..."

8) 8) 8)

Mr. Limpet
06-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Many many moons ago, back in the 70's, I believe that there was a point system for breeding fish. 5 points for a live bearer and 10 points for an egg layer. If you hit 100 points, you were a master Aquariast. Now maybe that was just some local clubs sytem, but I remember my boss at the wholesaler used to brag about that. Just a little local trivia, Paul.

Rick_May
06-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Listen, strange women lying in a ponds distributing Test Kits is no basis for acolades ... The Master Aquarist Title can only be derived from a mandate of the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ... You can't expect to hold Master Aquarist Title just because some wet tart lobs pH and Nitrite Tests Kits at you ..."

Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!

Bloody peasant!

06-17-2004, 01:01 PM
I cannot speak for other fish. As for discus fish. many self-proclaimed masters quit by completely wipe out their stock by disease. Those who are willing to admit and learn from their mistakes. Dust it off and start over again. Meet their challenge face on, analyze the situation and solve it logically are the real masters. I've met many old timers willing to do that and thrive from it and yet are so humble learning about the fish.
I'll say who are able to keep and produce F5 from the original fish can call themslves master. Not for those who only keep discus for 3 months and know everything about fish.
Jimmy

Howie_W
06-17-2004, 01:35 PM
I wonder how many here are on a quest for the Holy Discus, The grail for the Master Aquariest ;)

-al

Al,

I've actually spent quite a bit of time reading about the search for the Holy Discus. One thing that's always bothered me though...if this great fish did indeed once exist (and somehow still does) How as it capable of reproducing? I guess this is the question we are all desperate to find the answer to! :bounce:

Howie

JeffreyRichard
06-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!

Bloody peasant!

Your mother was a Ferret, and your father smells of Elderberry ... now go away or I'll taunt you a 2nd time ...

JeffreyRichard
06-17-2004, 01:45 PM
two discus keepers at a club meeting talking amongst themselves while listening to a presentation from a Master Aquariest ...

"How do you know he's a Master Aquariest?"

"He hasn't got any s*#@ on him ... "

JeffreyRichard
06-17-2004, 01:57 PM
"Answer me these Questions Three, and you will be allowed to pursue The Holy Discus ...

"What is your Name?" ;)

"What is your Quest?" :D

"What is the buffering capacity of well water extracted from the Central Plains aquafer approximately 723 feet below the surface of a cow paster in central Kansas in the middle of July? ???

Rick_May
06-17-2004, 02:02 PM
What am or pm?

korbi_doc
06-17-2004, 02:02 PM
:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

JeffreyRichard
06-17-2004, 02:18 PM
What am or pm?

I ... I don't know .... ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

gillyweed
06-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Holi... schit!!!!

I'm outa here!!!

(gillyweed squeaked out like a ... rat!!!)

gw ;D

brewmaster15
06-17-2004, 04:08 PM
I sought to master that beautiful beast known as "Discus" and though it has tempted me for years , I have yet to do so... for each step forward I am rewarded with 2 steps back.....one thing has become clear to me in this quest... Sadly I do not master this fish... it has mastered and molded me. :)

-al

korbi_doc
06-17-2004, 04:26 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: HERE! HERE! Well said Al!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Pick
06-17-2004, 08:05 PM
I've heard that the Shaolin Master Aquarist learns to become one with the fish and the water.

"When you can snatch the Ph probe from my hand, it will be time for you to leave."

TC

mikeos
06-18-2004, 03:01 PM
I sought to master that beautiful beast known as "Discus" and though it has tempted me for years , I have yet to do so... for each step forward I am rewarded with 2 steps back.....one thing has become clear to me in this quest... Sadly I do not master this fish... it has mastered and molded me. :)

-al

Took the words right out of my mouth Al.....master aquarist= S. aquifaciatus. the rest of us are just worshippers before his majesty. ;)

Alternatively Master Aquarist-"He who breeds Heckle x Heckle to F3"

Now where's the Holy Hand Grenade of Amazonia?

wildthing
06-18-2004, 03:15 PM
master aquarist was the teacher of the mutant ninja turtles no?

anyway..." I fart in your general direction"........." fetch me a shrubbery"

IMO titles like that are not self awarded but are given by peer acceptance.....
relative to most keepers of other species of fish ..nearly all discus keepers are master aquarists after a just couple months on this forum
:)

JeffreyRichard
06-22-2004, 10:56 AM
"This thread is DEAD ..."

"I'm not dead yet ..." ;)

"Yes, you are" >:(

"I'm getting better ..." :D

wildthing
06-22-2004, 08:53 PM
This parrot is DEAD I tell you :angel:

06-22-2004, 09:04 PM
This parrot is DEAD I tell you :angel:

NOOOOoooooo he's not....he's just sleeping...http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/wink.gif

damn...that brings back a few....

April
06-22-2004, 10:50 PM
ok..all you gotta do..is answer "yes master" and voila..you are now a master.
clean that tank for me will you??? Yes master.. ..done. your now a master.

CARY_GLdiscus
06-23-2004, 02:57 AM
To be or not to be! That is the Q

Or As I would say Be careful of what You wish for it might just happen And what then? ;)

JeffreyRichard
06-24-2004, 10:08 AM
I never wanted to be a master Aquariest anyway ...

I just wanted to be ... A LUMBERJACK

Cosmo
06-25-2004, 05:38 PM
don't know the answer to your question, but it did remind me of a very inspirational story I heard long ago about a little boy who wanted to become a master fisherman but was told that first he had the learn the basics, so, he got a job as an apprentice baiter at the local fishing pier and through hard work and perserverance worked his way up to the top and became a ........ :o

Jason
06-25-2004, 06:19 PM
lol wonder how many gallon's I've changed and hours I've put in just to try to be good, nowhere near master.

:PShould just get on as an apprentice in Detroit or Singapore ??? ??? ???

Rod
06-25-2004, 11:56 PM
lol cosmo, my sentiments exactly.