PDA

View Full Version : high PH

SmellsFishy0
06-18-2004, 04:35 PM
aight all.......i keep my discus in 8.0ph which i was told is fine but breeding in it wont work which is fine......but then i had someone tell me because of the higher ph my discus fins will be eatin away from the acid.......please someone shine some light on this......thanks-----AndyM

ronrca
06-18-2004, 04:39 PM
because of the higher ph my discus fins will be eatin away from the acid ??? Not sure what is meant by eating away from the acid! What acid?

In any event, its not true! I have pics of my discus which live in 8.2ph.

GoodMike
06-18-2004, 05:43 PM
whatever friend told you that needs to learn his stuff....higher ph is basic, not acidic......

SmellsFishy0
06-18-2004, 06:59 PM
wasnt a fried.......just someone stuck on there ways sayin anything over 6.5 is harmful and fish wouldnt be happy in it

lesley
06-18-2004, 10:07 PM
"anything over 6.5 is harmful and fish wouldnt be happy in it"

I have a snakeskin who would disagree with that!! Because of my soft water, she was involved in a major pH crash where I lost several fish. She associates low pH with a crash, and as soon as the pH drops to 6.5 she goes dark and talks a lot. As soon as the calcium carbonate, etc goes in, the pH comes up to 7 and she is happy again. She is my living pH (and kH) indicator.

Lesley

mikeos
06-19-2004, 02:27 PM
wasnt a fried.......just someone stuck on there ways sayin anything over 6.5 is harmful and fish wouldnt be happy in it

Just the kind of rubbish you get from people who know bugger all about discus. If the fish look good, are growing and feeding well, then whats the problem? Ph 8 is a bit on the high side for my tastes, but I have very soft water anyway, dont see any problems at all

Steve_Warner
06-20-2004, 01:59 AM
Hi all,
Andy, ask this person what they mean by the term "acid". 'cause it seems they have no clue about the system....I got a good laugh outta this one ;D

Steve

Jean
06-20-2004, 01:23 PM
So did I Steve! :D

A pH of 8 isn't bad, I've keept mine at that level and they do just fine. They can breed in it as well. The only thing with the higher pH and breeding sometimes I am told you won't get as high of a hatch out rate as compared to a lower pH.

HTH~
Jean ;D 8)

SmellsFishy0
06-21-2004, 04:30 PM
even though i only had my 4 young ones over 2 weeks there eating awesome which is good and there fins arent clenched which i hear is good....they come to the top for food n all.....but they still seem to breath a lil heavier than i think is right ....its a 75g BB with AC 500, no hydro filter at the time but will be one in near future...dont have this prob. in my community or cichlid tank so do they just breath a lil heavier than most fish or is it lack of oxygen?-----AndyM

Carol_Roberts
06-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Probably not lack of O2. You aren't running CO2 or anthing are you?

SmellsFishy0
06-21-2004, 04:53 PM
nope.......nor do i add any chems.

ronrca
06-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Are they breathing heavy after you feed them or do you notice them breathing heavy all the time?
What are your water parameters like? Ammonia/nitrites? ;)
How long has the tank been running?