PDA

View Full Version : Where do people keep their CBW

Valik
06-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Blackworms need to be kept in the frig in a open air container right, well my question is does anyone keep them in their main frig with their food or do you all use a special "fish frig". This question is just for curiousity sake, cause I don't think I could bring myself to put a open air container of live worms in my frig next to the left overs :)

Hasta Luego
Matt

DavidH
06-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Hey Matt, I agree just couldn't keep em in the house fridge, so I bought a real small one just for the worms.

Dave

aggie_67
06-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Have a small worm frig, with 4 worm keepers, and 2 gal jugs of aged water for rinsing.

Carol_Roberts
06-22-2004, 01:02 AM
. . . I'm experimenting with keeping them in a cool spare bedroom with an airstone. So far so good.

Valik
06-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Carol, Remember to remove them if you ever have any company stay over:)

Hasta Luego
Matt

aggie_67
06-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Carol,

What kind of life do you get? Would the air stone help extend usefulness for refrig worms in wormkeeper?

aggie_67
06-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Carol,

Even more important, what kind of container, how much water , and how often do you rinse?

Carol_Roberts
06-22-2004, 12:00 PM
same plastic container about 8 x 12 x 6 inches tall - bigger than a shoe box. Rinsed very good daily with cold tap water (no chlorine well water). Water a couple of inches above worms

Started with a pound. Have lasted a month or more. this is second pound kept this way. So far so good, but is summer now so room stay in low 70's instead of 60's. We'll see. . . . ;D

Steve_Warner
06-23-2004, 05:51 AM
Hi all,
I keep my Lb of worms in bottom drawer of fridge in a fully sealed glad plastic tupperware thingy that is approx 10"L X 5"W X 2"D. I rinse my worms once a day and keep very little water in there with them, just enough to keep them moist. They last me well over a month and are very fresh.

Steve

tony1313
06-23-2004, 12:12 PM
In a covered airated 5 gal bucket in the BEER fridge in the basement.
;D
Tony

Jean
06-23-2004, 12:49 PM
I too kept mine in the fridge in a stainless pan. I know of others that keep them in a small tank with an airstone and have success with them that way as well.

Jean 8) ;D

vickie s
06-23-2004, 02:11 PM
I keep mine in a worm keeper on the top shelf of the refrigerator (no food on that shelf). It was only a problem when the compressor went out and the worms crawled out (they knew there was a problem before we did) ::). I have more of an issue with people wanting to drink the gallon jug that is clearly marked "WORM WATER". For some reason people don't expect something like that in the fridge ;D. I would like a small fridge/freezer for the fish food, but haven't done that yet.
vickie

Valik
06-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Vickie and Jean you guys are brave. What does company usually say when they open the frig?:)
Matt

vickie s
06-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Company is usally my husband's gaming buddies or family. They think it is odd that I have lights bright enough to attract airplanes on my fish tanks (planted tanks), some of my tanks don't even have fish (plants only) and that I like to watch the fish eat worms. What I keep in the fridge just confirms their suspisions about my sanity but they are too polite to say anything. (at least to me). ;D

elgecko
07-14-2004, 10:51 PM
I have 2 - 10 gallon tanks with about 3 - 4" of water and a sponge filter in my garage. I change water every 2 to 4 weeks and try to remember to feed them every other day.

Jean
07-15-2004, 02:14 AM
Valik... I couldn't even consider keeping them in my fridge up stairs.. there is too much food in it and gallons and gallons of milk!

I have a full size freezer for odds and ends, one of which is worms black, white and things that wiggle ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Leeches are kept in the beer and pop fridge in the garage; isn't that the proper place? ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jean ;D 8)

aggie_67
07-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Elgecko,

Very interested in your experience as I want to try your technique on my next batch of worms. For a 10 gal tank how many worms do you add (1 lb?) Are they at room temp? What do you feed them and how much? Would expect that some worms are dieing off all the time, is water clear or muddy when you change, do you use dechlorinated water?

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-15-2004, 02:16 PM
The only reason why Dan suggests keeping the CBW in the fridge is that when they are cold, they reduce their metabolism which preserves their nutrition because they are living off of their body weight. You can keep them at room temperature provided that you feed them crushed flake food occasionally and change their water more frequently because now that they are warmer, they are also active and producing more waste compared to when they were kept cold. If the water is not changed, you will get bacterial outbreaks in the water and the worms will consume the bacteria which can/will lead to a bacterial bloom in a tank. How do you think Dan raises the worms? In out door ponds of course! The ponds arent cold, they are air temperature. He feeds them powdered fish food and flushes the ponds daily to maintain the water quality and cleanliness of the worms. Kinda like what we do with our discus.

-Ryan

YellowClaw
07-16-2004, 02:15 PM
I keep them at room temp in my 2 1/2 gal fish tank. I fill most of the intake of the filter with a piece of sponge to slow the flow of the water that comes out of the filter. I then fill the tank with RO water close to the top leaving enough room so that the out flow of the filter creates some splashes to break the water surface. There are also small 2 inches square pieces of brown paper bags that I torn and dropped in there. I feed the worms a little each day with different fish foods and only change the water as needed. There are lots of tinny babies crawling around on the sides of the glass. Don’t know how long it would take for those babies to grow big enough though. I use a turkey blaster to check for uneaten food, but no luck yet, they always eat everything I give them overnight.

elgecko
07-27-2004, 07:31 AM
aggie_67,
I only bought 2 or 3 portions to add to my 10 gallon tank from the local fish store. I only have 5 discus. Usually only feed cbws to my fish 1 time a week. My cultures are able to keep up with this schedule.
I keep the worms in my garage in an unheated tank.
I feed the worms 2 to 3 times a week. I use some discus pellets that my discus refuse to eat. I think they are Hikari.
The water is clear when I do changes. There is worm waste that is on the bottom of the tank. I change water every 2 to 4 weeks.

Cosmo
07-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Many years ago, kept them in the food fridge in a tupperware container with the lid on loose. Never a problem except on the ... ummm... few occassions the container tipped over and spilled worms all over the place..... ewwwwwww

PS. don't do that anymore

paul scarborough
07-31-2004, 05:46 PM
I keep 10 to 15lb in these for two weeks at a time, or longer, and feed them spiro and algae pelets, they do fine, grow and reproduce a little.

paul scarborough
07-31-2004, 05:49 PM
not even slimy, works good for me