PDA

View Full Version : First Aid kit

kaceyo
06-23-2004, 05:37 PM
What sorts of meds,or other first aid items should I have on hand for my fish.I've allready gotten Epsom Salt and Aquarium salt but aren't there meds that don't have to be bought"fresh"as needed?Maybe formalin or meth.blue or?I don't want to get caught off gaurd.Thanx, Kaceyo

Dkarc@Aol.com
06-23-2004, 10:54 PM
I personally keep on hand salt, epsom salt, Meth blue, formalin, Metro, prazi, fenbendazole, Potassium Permanganate (PP) and hydrogen peroxide (to neutralize the PP). The PP will take care of virtually any bacterial/skin problem I may encounter. Use PP with extreme caution!! It is an oxidizer and will burn the fish if you are not careful! Use this link to learn more:

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/medicine_cabinet/potassium_permanganate.shtml

-Ryan

aggie_67
06-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Ryan, what is the fenbendazole used for? Have and use all the other items in your post except PP.

Carol_Roberts
06-24-2004, 03:23 PM
worms (not tapeworms)

Dkarc@Aol.com
06-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Fenbendazole is more commonly known as panacur. It is used for round worms in the intestine. It is fed to the discus and is much safer alternative to flubendazole which is put into the water and can cause some side effects like head/tail standing. You can obtain it from your local vet. Just make sure you get the pure powdered stuff, not the liquid form. I think there is an article on panacur in the Library.

-Ryan

aggie_67
06-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Thanks everybody,

Will definately add to the medicine chest!!!

kaceyo
06-24-2004, 11:48 PM
Thanks to all,here's to hopeing i'll never need'em and to you all being around for advice when I do.kaceyo