PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting two wild tefe greens

falcon
06-24-2004, 03:47 PM
I am thinking of getting two wild tefe greens.

First question: I was thinking of getting a 5" and a 6". Couple other ones were like 7" - they looked huge. Should I get the bigger ones or stick with the smaller ones?

Second question: the fish is from a lfs and they had them in the tank for about 3 months or more so they're acclimatized pretty well. Should I still quarantine them? They're not cheap and that's why they're still there, I think.

I want to add them to my 120g planted, community tank which presently has two turqs in there, 5" and 5.5" that are in hiding whenever they see me. I think it might be 'cause they feel isolated as I pulled smaller discus from there a couple of months ago to grow out in a bb. I'm thinking adding these two in there would help them come out of hiding and don't feel threatened whenever they see me.

Anything else I should be thinking/considering before I put them in?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

falcon

Valik
06-24-2004, 04:28 PM
I would still QT them, especially with them being from a lfs. Usually lfs have lots of tanks on 1 big filter. I've always believed in putting everything in QT, unless you don't care about what your putting them in with.
Matt

Howie_W
06-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Hi falcon,

Sounds like your lfs has some pretty cool fish with your name on it. If you feel like spending the money, I'd say go for it. If you only have two discus in your 120 gal. I'm not surprised they're hiding...you need to get a lot more than just two more Discus in there. :) Keep in mind you always create a new pecking order when you add fish, and the more the merrier.

You should always quarantine new fish, regardless of where they come from...you'll be doing all the fish, both old and new a disservice if you don't. Check the parameters the fish are being kept in at the lfs so that you can bring them home to a tank that doesn't vary greatly from what they've been used to.

Howie

falcon
06-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Ok, will quarantine them...2 weeks ok, or should I go for 3? I will put a bit of salt in the q-tank for the first week.

falcon

mikeos
06-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Why settle for 2? ( I am a bit biased....I love tefe greens)

I would QT for at least 6 weeks.

Howie_W
06-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Ok, will quarantine them...2 weeks ok, or should I go for 3? I will put a bit of salt in the q-tank for the first week.

falcon

Six weeks is best...better safe than sorry. If you haven't already done so, check out the Disease section of the forum. There's an excellent thread on quarantine procedures.

Howie